Decorating Candles With Texture Fierro

One of my favorite new craft supplies is DecoArt’s Texture Fierro, a textured material (almost like a paste) that can be applied to almost any surface. It has a subtle shimmer because it is mixed with metallic flakes. “Fierro” means “iron” in Italian. It hardens and creates a very cool texture. It’s fairly inexpensive too, around $6 for the container below, and a little goes a long way. It comes in a variety of colors, but so far I have only experimented with the brown and green.

I picked up some candles at the dollar store and textured the outside of the glass with the texture fierro and got GREAT results! I would have never thought to use this material in a county/primitive context, but it kinda works! I applied it with an old paint brush and just dabbed it on. The first coat was fairly thick and covered it almost completely, but I did a second coat just to touch it up.

These little electric candles were a huge hit at my craft show last year, however I had used a different technique involving cinnamon and modge podge that took FOREVER and was a huge mess. This product is a great alternative for these candles. I get them 2 for $1 at the dollar store. It creates such a warmer, cozier look than the plain white plastic!

Another option is painting any old glass, container, frame…really anything you can think of! This is a simple glass candle holder that I threw a tea light in, and it looks great. SO EASY!

I have to give a shout out to Cynthia Lee Designs, a fellow craft blogger who gave me the idea. I stumbled upon her tutorial as I was searching for ways to modify those little electric candles. See her take on texture fierro at her blog: http://cynthialeedesigns.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/making-primitive-candles/. Thank you Cindy!

I am trying to think of other uses for the texture fierro, because I love how it looks. There are other colors and even other types of textures available that I have yet to experiment with. What kinds of things would you use it for???

1. Cindy
    Oct 16, 2010 @ 17:40:55

Hi Maggie,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog…and welcome to blogland! Isn’t Texture Fierro the most wonderful stuff!!
    Best Wishes on your upcoming show in December. My Christmas show is in 4 weeks…and I’ve been busy making all kinds of prim ornies.
    I’m going to add your blog to my blogroll so that I can follow you. Hope you are having a great weekend and I’ll be back for another visit soon.
    ~Cindy~

2. Holly
    Nov 16, 2013 @ 13:39:23

I’m having a VERY HARD time finding anywhere to buy the texture fierro online or at a store. Could you direct me to where I could? My local Joann Fabrics, Michael’s, and Pat Catans doesn’t carry it currently. HELP!!! Lol

Nov 16, 2013 @ 18:08:23

Holly, it’s because it has been discontinued and no stores have carried it for the last year or so. You can google texture paints and see what alternatives you could find, but unfortunately there is no more texture fierro out there anymore! I am bummed too – it was such a great product!

3. Holly
    Nov 17, 2013 @ 10:29:40

Is there something you could suggest to me that is similar to the fierro? I am very new to this painting technique so I really am very new to what is out there and would rather ask someone like you who maybe has tried different things versus me spending loads of money on many different kinds to find the one I want.

Nov 22, 2013 @ 08:31:12

Holly I’m sorry but I haven’t really experimented with it so I couldn’t tell you. I do remember one lady telling me she bought the white snow texture stuff that you can get at the craft store, and she mixed some paint or glitter with it to make different colors and that seemed to work well. Sorry I can’t be of more help…have fun experimenting!

4. Kari
    Jan 09, 2014 @ 01:36:43

I found a website that suggests just using regular paint and adding sand to get the texture that you want.

It might be similar…

On a side note, I found your page the other day and was so impressed! You really are very talented! I have spent many hours browsing your page and have found many things that I wish to try!

5. Sheri
    Jun 07, 2014 @ 22:05:59

Hi: I just thought I would let you know that I just bought some Decoart Fierro Texture at decoart.com. I still couldn’t find any in our local craft stores. Enjoy

6. countryprimprincess
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 09:34:14

I bought the texture Fierro after also trying mod podge and cinnamon however I’m not sold on the look because of the glittery look it gives. Have you tried the texture terra cotta, if so what’s your opinion versus the Fierro?

Nov 14, 2014 @ 09:49:02

I liked the fierro but I do agree, I wasn’t crazy about the shimmer. I always planned on experimenting with using the fierro for a base texture and then painting over it with a matte paint for a more prim look, but never did get around to it. I have not tried the texture terra cotta. It looks pretty cool though – I’d love to hear your thoughts if you do end of trying it! 🙂 ~maggie

• Jami
        Dec 14, 2014 @ 07:23:24

I finally got my fierro in I also ordered the terra cotta but I received email it was sold out. I’m going to try the fierro today I have a ton of old candle jars to re-invent 😊

Dec 15, 2014 @ 11:52:02

Have fun Jami! I love that stuff but I am not shocked it was sold out because it seems to be slowly disappearing….what’s left that is….because a lot of them are discontinued. Hope you’re having some good results with it. Happy Holidays! Maggie