Ophthalmic Photography

I get a lot of questions about what exactly I do, and a lot of confused looks when I introduce myself as an ophthalmic photographer.  I work in a unique and interesting field photographing the insides of people’s eyes, specifically the retina. The retina lines the back wall of the eye and is responsible for our detailed vision.  My imaging of the retina provides the  doctors with crucial information that allows them to diagnose and treat retinal problems and diseases, such as macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease, and much more. It is very satisfying to know I am directly helping the doctor and am an integral part of the patient care process. I get to use some incredible equipment. A digital camera that is essentially a giant microscope allows me to see even the finest detail of the retinal blood vessels.

Some people cringe when they see our images, but to me it is beautiful…it sorta becomes abstract art.

The image above is of a patient with a retinal vein occlusion. The vessel on the bottom (that is black) is blocked and thus there is a lack of normal blood flow out of the eye.

The above image is a rare syndrome diagnosed in a 16 year old boy who got into a bad car accident. It’s essentially inflammation due to impact. He lost almost all of the vision in this eye. Amazingly, he did heal up and regained most of his vision.

This photo won 3rd place at the Ophthalmic Photographer Society’s annual photo exhibit a few years ago. It’s a diabetic patient with severe damage to the blood vessels in the central vision area. It is inverted just for fun, but I swear that’s why it placed…it’s eye catching (no pun intended).

I actually JUST found out that the image above won honorable mention at the 2010 Ophthalmic Photography Society Photo exhibit! Yay! It is a small hemorrhage photographed with two different types of retinal imaging; a fundus photograph (orange) and an OCT, or Optical Coherence Tomography (b&w cross sectional scan) and I just loved the graphic look of that perfectly circular hemorrhage, right smack in the center of her vision. Luckily, this young girl also regained her vision as the hemorrhage resolved.

I am lucky to have such a interesting career that can really help people, not to mention the images are just SO COOL!

1. photobyholly
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 10:01:54

Beautiful photos!! I just recently saw a photo of the inside of my own eye, and I was fascinated – I can see why you love doing this!

Oct 20, 2010 @ 10:23:58

Thank you for the compliment! It’s such a fascinating field like you said, I just had to share. I just started this blog, so do you mind if I ask how you found me? I am trying to figure out how to get more traffic and readers. Thanks again!
      P.S. You have some great photos on your blog! 🙂

2. photobyholly
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 10:29:25

I’m glad you DID share – they’re beautiful – a true, unique art! I found your blog by searching for “photography” tags. If you’re signed in on the main page, one of the tabs is “Tags”, and I clicked on “Photography”, and I saw a thumbnail of one of your photos, and I was intrigued! Thank you for your compliment, and for visiting my blog – I can post a link to your blog on my page to help you get more visitors, I love things that are unique, and this is worth sharing!

3. Eyeballs By Day, Crafts By Night
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:41:58

Thank you for the info Holly, I am still learning how this whole thing works. I would LOVE for you add a link to my blog, and I will do the same for you and add you to my blogroll. Thanks again and happy shooting!!

4. Sunflowerdiva
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:46:38

Wow, these are beautiful photos. The human eye is an amazing thing. I’d like to see what my eye looks like now…. Congrats on getting Freshly Pressed!

5. pltprincess
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:48:23

I’ve never had an opportunity to view these types of photos of eyes – my own or any one else’s. It’s is oddly fascinating and beautiful in their own way. Thanks for sharing.

6. Emily Jane
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:49:59

This is absolutely fascinating!

7. mairebran
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:56:06

WOW that’s really beautiful!

8. KaezMum
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:56:31

Wow, these pics are incredible!!! I’ve always been fascinated with pictures from inside the human body! We truly are works of art, aren’t we?!!! How exactly does one become a Ophthalmic Photographer? You have a great career 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

9. The Simple Life of a Country Man's Wife
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:56:31

I had no idea there was a specific type of photography dedicated to the eyeball!

10. thejamminjabber
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:56:34

Amazing. How does one become an Ophthalmic photographer?

Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:23:51

Thank you everyone for the great comments!!! It all started with a general interest in photography. I went to school for “Biomedical Photography” at the Rochester Institute of Technology, and concentrated in Ophthalmic Photography. I believe it’s one of maybe two schools in the US that teaches it. We spent our last year working with the special imaging equipment and learning about the anatomy of the eye and all about retinal conditions and diseases. The images are so incredible and beautiful…I will be sure to share more soon! Thanks again everyone! 🙂

11. NikNik
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:58:36

I love these photos, thanks for sharing – and congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

Please continue blogging, and show us more.

12. Sulfonix
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:05:37

Wow, fascinating how all the things get better at macro! I ENVY.

13. runtobefit
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:12:32

I think I am going to throw up…no wait…I’m fine…no…yup…I am going to throw up…jk…nice photots…very interesting!

14. mainelymel
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:52:52

Your photo’s are unique & interesting to look at. I have seen many photo’s of the inside of my eye. As a child, I was diagnosed w/ toxoplasmosis in my right eye, which took nearly all sight in that eye, but even I find the pictures very interesting to look at (with my good eye of course!) 🙂

15. Jean Huang Photography
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:59:19

These are fascinating photos. And the explanation helped guide us on interpreting the information in them.

Great job! Congratulations on being Freshed Pressed! 🙂

16. Harry Lim Photography
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 13:14:26

Funny, I just read this article about a consumer Canon 50D being used for retina photography.

Later on the WordPress “freshly pressed” page, I saw your post. Fascinating stuff.

17. hotsioux
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 13:22:56

Hi, stunningly clear images 🙂 Don’t take the actual photographs, but I’m an ophthalmic nurse and would be the person setting up the contrast for ya! lol Nice to see someone who takes a real pride and joy out of what they do too… keep up the great work!

18. She.Is.Just.A.Rat
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 13:43:51

My optometrist has been doing retinal imaging for me for a couple years now. I’m diabetic, so it’s really important for me to track any changes that are ongoing. My images are really cool…love it!

19. chrissybblog
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 13:50:32

These are pretty amazing! And so is your job, I had no idea there was such a field of photography, haha!

I’m throwing myself into the photography world and love seeing different parts of the industry. Portraits and landscapes are nice, but this is something unique and pretty incredible.

Shameless plug here: chrissybblog.wordpress.com

20. gnarlyoak
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 13:53:12

Intriguing photos

21. CrystalSpins
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:03:11

I do think these photos are beautiful, but for some reason they remind me of that moment during my eye appointments when they blow the puff of air into my eye for the glaucoma test.

Bah!

Thanks for sharing!

Crystal

22. arisingmoon
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:05:55

I love your photos, and well done for having recognition at the Ophthalmic Photographer Society

I saw the title on the WordPress home page whilst I was signing in and thought that it could be interesting… which it is.

Recently my daughter had been to the opticians and told me that they’d put a big picture of her eyeball on a screen. She’s got a phobia about her eyes so it ‘freaked her out’ a bit, and now she’s worried because she’s being referred to the hospital and doesn’t know how she’s going to be able to cope.
    I like photography and crafts they’re a good combination 🙂

23. Silmatark
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:22:15

Hi!
    These are outstandingly awsome photographs!
    I am an II year optometry student and while I was in clinic the fundus photography was the most fascinating part.
    Since we have a blog about eyes and health of eyes, I’d like to ask, if it is possible to use your photographs in our blog? The blog itself is in Estonian language: prillid.wordpress.com

Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:52:13

Thanks so much! I am a little biased, but I find ophthalmic imaging the most fascinating as well! You are more than welcome to use my images in your blog. I hope they will be helpful and your readers find them interesting! 🙂 Thanks for commenting!!

24. Paul
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:26:01

I write a blog for physician assistant students and those who want to become PA students. My class just had an exam on retinopathies, among other things, and your images would really be helpful/relevant/interesting to share. May I have your permission to post one of your images and info about your work (I would be happy to link the image to your blog)? Great work!

Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:34:33

Thanks so much Paul! It would be an honor for you to share some of my images in your blog! It’s such an incredible field and I am sure the PA students would find it interesting. If you need any additional information regarding these patients and their backgrounds (obviously within HIPPA privacy guidelines), just let me know. Thanks again, and be sure to let me know when/if you proceed with this, so I can check out the post! 🙂

25. toynbeeconvector
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:55:29

Wow! Thank you for blogging about beautiful eyes. 🙂 I grew up with visiting the eye doctor a lot and am now a proud owner of an artificial eye. I think your work is amazing! Keep posting. And yeah, the insides of eyes are really wonderful!

26. inkspeare
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 15:17:02

I remember taking an eye exam and they photographed my eyes. When I saw the picture I told the Dr. “Wow, it looks like a full moon during fall behind leafless trees.” He looked at me like I was crazy and said, “Huh, never saw it that way.”
    I thought – “Are you blind?”

27. thewitcontinuum
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 15:19:25

Fascinating. I had a diabetic friend who suffered for years with eye hemorrhages, and subsequently lost most of her eyesight due to the damage….I never imagined what it all looked like in there. Truly, it looks quite beautiful. I am glad to see here images of people who recovered their sight. Sadly, my friend died from complications due to her illness some years ago never regaining her sight. Keep up the good work…the images you take may help someone in the future.

28. Trackback: Freshly Pressed Focus: Ophthalmic Photography (via Eyeballs By Day, Crafts By Night) | Share the Word
  29. everythingneat
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 16:03:46

Congratulations on being featured on Freshly Pressed! I really appreciate that you took the time to share with us your interesting line of work. Your images are truly beautiful but more importantly they are helping others get a proper diagnosis and, hopefully, treatment.

30. Luci
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 16:04:28

Thanks for sharing! I have Retinitis Pigmentosa and I would be very interested in seeing photos of an eye with RP compared to a “healthy” eye. Do you have any RP photos? Thanks again!

• beyondanomie
      Oct 20, 2010 @ 18:36:21

Without pre-empting the author’s own response (she’s probably got some great images) RP fluorescein images can be quite striking, depending on the stage the RP is at. There’s often oedema, interesting choroidal patterns and other signs.

You can be find some pictures, as well as explanations for what you’re seeing, at http://www.ojrd.com/content/1/1/40

At time of typing, access to the full text of that review article is free, so you shouldn’t have to register/subscribe to the journal to see the images.

• Luci
        Oct 21, 2010 @ 18:07:42

Thank you for the link! I appreciated seeing the pictures, as well as reading the article.

31. beyondanomie
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 16:06:22

Great pics.

My father’s a retired ophthalmic retinal surgeon who did a LOT of fundus fluorescein work so I pretty much grew up around these sort of images… even more so when he wrote a textbook on the subject and had to select the best photos he could from the zillions of slides and digital images he had!

I agree that they can be quite beautiful images. They have a Turner-esque quality to them. Do you think OCT will eventually replace FFA?

Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

32. missps
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 16:16:10

Wow! These are so spooky and beautiful – thanks for sharing!

33. dvbmech
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 17:02:27

Stunning!

34. thesoftspace
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 17:36:05

Incredible! What an interesting sub-field of science. And what interesting results!

35. Moonmooring
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 18:25:16

Wow! That was awesome! What a creative art medium… the possibilities are limitless.

Sarah
    moonmooring.wordpress.com

36. Paul K.
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 19:02:52

here it is: http://wp.me/p12SRC-5N and our blog main page is http://www.mypatraining.com

Thanks so much!

37. Peter
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 19:05:17

I bet the ophthalmic has to introduce himself as an eye doctor for the average person to know what he is. I’m sure the patients appreciate having a skilled ophthalmic photographer.

38. kevin
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 19:49:22

cooooool.. i have a relative who study optics right now, i hope he can study your field so he can show me..hehehe

39. perfectperfectionist
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 20:10:04

Your job sounds fascinating, and believe it or not, I had heard of it before! My Mum kept getting lightning flashes across her vision. Turns out that the lining of the back of her eye was falling away (which grossed me out).

They found this out because someone from your field photo’d her eye so they could see it, and now she’s on a treatment plan which is working. Keep up the good work :).

40. byouchah
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 20:23:48

What a great post! Something we hardly get to see. You really do have a cool job. Thanks for sharing!

41. Terry Weber
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 20:25:54

Love your post. They look like little worlds of their own. On a related note, I always wonder how we can actually “see” in our minds, when our eyes are closed and we’re just thinking. Where and how are we seeing these images? In our eyes or in our brains?
    No, I am not smoking…:)

42. Trackback: Ophthalmic Photography | Anoush Designs
  43. ika
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 20:49:05

So cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. teapotchronicles
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 21:05:33

See, to me, these are just creepy… but in a totally can’t-stop-looking kind of way… 🙂 Thanks for the education about what my eyeballs look like inside! Congrats on FP!

45. Jim
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 21:08:08

Fascinating!!

46. Glimpse Journal
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 21:18:03

Beautiful images! Thanks for sharing your work. We’d love to feature your images and excerpts of your post on our blog at http://glimpsejournal.wordpress.com

47. Trackback: Ophthalmic Photography (via Eyeballs By Day, Crafts By Night) « GLIMPSE journal blog
  48. Kevin Uehara
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 22:15:41

This is amazing work. Who knew!

49. Trackback: The Eyes Are The Windows To… « Kambiz Kamrani
  50. allYOUcanTHINKbuffet
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 22:51:51

I’m a huge science nerd and love images such as these! Thank you for sharing! Congrats on FP!

51. Kiersten
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 23:00:26

Those are some great fundus photos. Our office has what seems like a pretty old school fluorescein angiographer. Are these pictures with a digital camera/microscope? I agree on that OCT scan, that hemorrhage is wild!

52. showjumper42
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 23:00:26

These images are extraordinary!

53. Girl.In.Monochrome
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 23:29:09

These are such lovely shots. I too take retinal photos and run an OCT. I have always thought the images resembled harvest moons, the color, the topography.

Years ago, I had the task of destroying retinal Polaroids from charts that were, at the time, over ten years old. I felt like I was committing some sort of crime or indifferent blasphemy.

I will definitely be sharing this post.

54. innocenz
    Oct 20, 2010 @ 23:44:47

I have to agree… those images ARE cool!

Your post reminded me of a project I was assigned to when I was about 8 or 9 where I had to visit an eye hospital.

Even back then I thought such photos were amazingly beautiful. I managed to get a couple to stick in my project paper just to pretty it up!

Congrats on being FP-ed and having a great job 🙂

55. Cindy
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 00:13:07

Fascinating and Beautiful!!

56. BHavEEka
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 00:16:07

I knew about Photography but never knew about such wonderful kind of photography, you are definitely a lucky person to do what you enjoy good luck!!! I loved the part when you said that its like an abstract art, it surely can be!! 🙂

57. chazco23
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 00:18:04

It sounds like interesting work, at least you can help some people.
    Stephanie R

58. 4351517@gmail.com
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 00:22:38

I’m one of the people that will remain forever indebted to you and those that practice your art. You saved my vision and my life. Unless one actually goes through a period where one’s eyesight is truly compromised, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to relate. A million, trillion thank you’s.

59. Ian Webster
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 00:51:33

It’s an amazing world. Hidden from us yet the very means by which we see.
    Congrats on your awards, especially on being freshly pressed.

60. achilliad
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 01:45:34

Awesome! and some look like a shot of a deep space galaxy. Kudos on getting “pressed” ! Personal note: at age 57 I notice my left eye is slightly less sharp than my right during the late summer and autumn but can’t afford to go to the Opthamologist right now. I wonder and sometimes am scared of what he might “see” if he were you, but would love to have a shot of my eye on my wall like a painting one day.

61. itsahappyblog
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 01:57:38

Really interesting…and how’s this for possible readership! Just get yourself freshly pressed;) Everyone in my family wears glasses but me and I am always fascinated by what goes on inside of us. It would be interesting to do a family study utilizing your line of expertise.

62. Trackback: Ophthalmic Photography (via Eyeballs By Day, Crafts By Night) « slices of ink
  63. rtcrita
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 03:30:13

Our eyes are so precious to us. I like to sew, paint, do beadwork, work in photoshop on the computer, and many other things that I tend to overwork my eyes in doing. I know I need to take better care of them by not continuing to overuse and take more breaks from my work. I definitely feel it when I have abused them.

You are so blessed to be able to have a job that you enjoy so much and that can help alert people to potential dangers in their health. Interesting occupation and one I wouldn’t normally even think about if you hadn’t shared. Congratulations on recognition of your work.

64. jonlockett
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 04:39:49

that’s pretty cool stuff you do, wow!

65. Ivy
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 04:42:39

When I was in doing my ophthalmology rotation back in med school, I always loved looking into other people’s eyes. It is truly beautiful. Whether they have lesions or not. 🙂

66. thehairyhoudini
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 04:52:23

What wonderful images – At first when i saw the freshly pressed image it looked like the surface of the moon – They are so beautiful. I have a photo of my eye and it’s fascinating how different they all are.
    I’m glad you tagged it as photography, as I would never have stumbled across it under the heading “medical” I just never would have searched there!
    I hope you might also like to see my blog and website-
    http://www.stleonardsonline.com – i have just launched a new British collection of leather bags for men and women, and my blog is called “The Hairy Houdini” Enjoy – and well done again.
    K

67. Kevin
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 06:19:21

Can I send you my left eye so you can take a photo of it? I just not sure what is the best way to remove it and then reattach it when you send it back. How do you recommend I pack my eye so it arrives in good condition? I think this would be cool artwork in the office. Or I could give a copy to my friends so they could keep an eye on me. Oh an how much do you charge if I can get my out out. Good work. Kevin

68. lovemargarita
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 06:25:42

Hi! This field of photography was featured in Halle Berry’s movie, The Perfect Stranger right? The photos in the movie were so beautiful! 🙂

69. Imaginarium of Pau
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 09:23:14

Wow, you’re blog is so cool! I never heard about ophthalmic photography ever- not until now. I hope a lot of people will get to like your blog too, like me liking your blog a lot! Keep it up. 🙂

70. Trackback: Ophthalmic Photography (via Eyeballs By Day, Crafts By Night) « The Wit Continuum
  71. Michele
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 10:30:50

I was fascinated. I’m always a bundle of questions. Like what kind of machine takes these kinds of pictures? At first I thought they were pics of some moon or celestial body, before I read it of course. I’m a dominant visual learner so I notice pictures first. How’d you get started or interested in your specialty. Did you start with the medical field or photography? We have 8 children, each of them are artistic in some way as they develop their gifts take twist and turns which lead them to what they really what to do in life. My husband is an animation artist..he taught himself. At a young age he would draw all summer just books with pages of heads hands then other things. He took photography in high school and worked as a photographer in Sears. Now all that serves him well as an father, artist and teacher. Thanks for this post and best of luck with getting more views…your on your way now:)
    Michele

ps can’t wait to hear about those fleamart finds!

72. mamastephf
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 10:41:46

Hi Maggie! I love these pictures! Glad I saw you on the Freshly Pressed page. I work social media for an optometrist, and would love to brag on your blog and show some of your pics on her FB page, giving you full credit and linking to your blog, if you’d give permission. Let me know what you think! 🙂

Oct 21, 2010 @ 11:56:20

Absolutely! I would be honored to have some of my images on your optometrist’s FB page. I am sure you are familiar with the field, and I am excited you want to share my images! Keep me posted so I can check out your blog! 🙂

• mamastephf
        Oct 21, 2010 @ 16:53:27

I sure will, Maggie! When I use them (I’ll likely just use a photo here and there, not all at once, just to get lots of chances for our friends to see) I’ll alert you. 🙂 Thanks! Are you on FB, too? Our fansite is http://www.facebook.com/drrudd if you’d like to “like” it.
        Thanks again! 🙂

73. Lil John
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 11:15:24

nice never thought this looked like that

74. ancaparema
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 11:30:51

That’s a fascinating job! Your pictures definitely beat the “after” pictures I posted of my eyes after Lasik 🙂 Definitely almost abstract.

75. And then I went Crazy!
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 11:57:11

I have a friend here at Hopkins that does the same kind of work. I don’t think she’s ever thought about posting her photos. Your photos are fabulous! And, very educational. Thank you for sharing.

76. And then I went Crazy!
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:07:05

Oh..on another note. Would you be willing to do an interview about your job? I work for a middle school gifted magazine that interviews people in different careers. Let me know.

Atiwc

Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:15:25

I’d love to. Would this be something in a question/answer format over email? (That would be ideal!) I think it’s such a fascinating field and would love to talk more about it. I appreciate you offering me this opportunity! My email is powersmargaret@yahoo.com if you’d like to proceed with this. Thanks! 🙂

77. kittymartine
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:08:17

Holy Moly, who knew the inside of the eye could be so beautiful? I didn’t.

78. lynseybareham
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 12:57:36

Wow.. this is so interesting! I happened upon your blog by looking in the ‘freshly pressed’ section! very inspiring.

79. The Newfie Geek
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 13:31:08

Such beautiful photos! They ARE very abstract, enough that you could think it’s not really an eye at all. I had some shots done of my eye a few years back when it was discovered I had enlarged optic nerves, but I never got to see them – I wish I had, after seeing these!

80. vermathio
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 13:36:39

As I just published a post about the next exhibit of photography in Paris and last software tools in HDR (high dynamic range) I found your blog on the Freshly Pressed. Really nice photos. Technical details about camera used, format and SW processing would be very interesting for me. Thanks by advance

81. Tiffany Hope
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 14:08:48

Congratulations, you’ve been wordpressed today! I’ve always fascinated by the human anatomy. I now study medicine, so I guess your post can be a valuable resource. Just wondering, can I have the pictures?

82. Rain Zeravla
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 15:27:13

wow! very interesting blog u have here. it’s my first time here in this blogging career and hope to learn so much more. i’m inspired by your post. hope that i could come up with a nice topic too soon.

83. Barbara
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 16:05:57

These photo’s remind me of when I go to the optitions for my eye exam every 2 years. When they dim the lights shine the torch into my eye to see inside, I can see all the blood vesels exactly as they are in your photo’s. I think it’s great but my son thinks it’s wierd as he doesn’t see it when he has his.

84. Ellen
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 20:46:46

I’m so glad you are featured, amazing images and it is so fine to see someone who loves their job. Especially nice that it is a job I’d knew of.

85. The Mental Secretary
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 21:24:25

That is really freaking cool! The black and white pictures could be a German Expressionist background. I’m taking a General Psychology class, and we just learned about vision, making this extra interesting. Plus, I love your phrasing: “Yay! It is a small hemorrhage photographed with two different types of retinal imaging.” I’m sure you didn’t intend that. But it made me laugh. 🙂

86. ....the little thread of thoughts
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 21:57:29

Nice pictures. Congrats on getting freshly pressed.

87. Jessafur
    Oct 21, 2010 @ 22:35:05

Your photos are amazingly beautiful. I manage an optometrist office and have often marveled at the intricacies of the human eye, specificly the retina. Your fundus photography is outstanding. What a neat site.

88. squarebrackets
    Oct 22, 2010 @ 10:46:29

You have the coolest job!

89. laurenhamm
    Oct 22, 2010 @ 11:22:17

Hi, I’m a biomedical visualization student at UIC and was wondering if I could link a post on my blog to your post here.

90. iheartfilm
    Oct 23, 2010 @ 12:48:14

VERY cool.

91. Heather CJ Atkins
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 01:00:00

fascinating.. and the images are eerily beautiful!

92. Trackback: Things, I’ve ever told – Wake Up call « Krazy Memoirs
  93. Marc
    Mar 13, 2011 @ 21:49:41

Love the way this website presents retina. I own a retinal imaging company in New York. We develop Ophthalmic software and digital upgrade adapters for the slightly older film based systems. Yes I spend most of my engineering time shooting artificial eyes ( Mickey mouse fundus). My final testing is always done with human eyes. It’s like you never know what your going to get the second after you press the joystick button. Especialy in the general population that aren’t sitting in your dilation holding area because they know they have a retinal problem.
    Your lucky…shooting retinas is a challenge and unlike visual fields, you
    know you did a good job…
    Marc THE
    vitreous voyeur

94. Samantha
    Apr 09, 2011 @ 07:08:24

I’m an Orthoptist in Australia and absolutely love this part of my job. Seeing images of pathology and disease in the eye is definately what I consider artwork. I have been hunting for a “coffee table book” that is specifically ophthalmic photographs… Do you have any idea where I can get hold of something like this?

Apr 11, 2011 @ 08:24:46

Hi Samantha! I love all kinds of medical imaging as well…it is so interesting yet beautiful. I have my ophthalmic images hanging all over our office displayed as artwork! I don’t know of any coffee table type books of ophthalmic photography…but that’s a wonderful idea!!! The ophthalmic imaging books that I know of are for medical use and not really the “artistic” kind of view that we are talking about. Hmm…maybe a project I should consider! 🙂 Thanks again for your comment! 🙂 ~Maggie

95. Trackback: Opthalmic Photography
  96. John from Macro Photography For All
    Dec 12, 2011 @ 22:32:05

I’ve been an Ophthalmic Photographer for 15+ years, and I agree it’s a very cool profession. I am very familiar with the looks of confusion when explaining what I do to people I meet. Now and then I’ll meet someone who knows all about what I do, because they or a loved one have been helped through a debilitating eye condition. These folks are invariably grateful and admiring of what we do.

97. Christy Anderson
    Apr 26, 2015 @ 18:13:17

Is there any way to purchase one of your photographs?

Apr 28, 2015 @ 12:29:43

Hi Christy, unfortunately I am not able to sell any of my ophthalmic work as it’s a conflict of interest with my job, and some may consider a violation of the patient’s privacy (even though there are no names attached) and so I wouldn’t want to stir anything up. My purpose of posting them was really just for education and to talk a little bit about how cool my job is. 🙂 Thank you very much though for your interest. Each photo is truly unique and really a “work of art!” ~maggie