Making Country Signs Using Foam Stamps

Sorry it’s been so long! I have lots of projects to share, but they are all half-finished and/or not photographed! D’OH!

Anyway, I decided to share a “how-to” on my country signs since a few people have asked me how I make them. I recently made this sign for a lady at the co-op and decided to show you a step-by-step of the process.

Finding pre-weathered or barn wood is ideal. Since I can never find it, I just buy these pre-cut boards at Lowe’s. Use whatever kind of wood you’d like! Paint the board the base color you’d like and sand down to your liking.

For the letters, I use this heavy body acrylic paint. It’s wicked expensive but a little goes a long way, and I use it for tons of projects. It works great on the signs! Use a basic sponge for applying the letters.

Foam stamps usually come like this. Don’t try to tear them down the perforated edges- I have ruined stamps this way. Cut them!

Lightly moisten the sponge. Ring out all excess water…you don’t want it wet; just “pliable.” Dab in your paint and tap off the excess.

Carefully dab the foam letter surface with the sponge. This process goes quickly. You have to do it this way or else way too much paint gets on the stamps. Dipping the stamps directly into the paint will result in waaaay too much paint on the stamp surface, and squish out the edges when you press on it. Trust me!

Line up the edges of the letters with your other letters by looking down the side of the stamp and eyeball it. I don’t lay it out ahead of time…though I probably should! If you mess up, quickly use a damp paper towel to wipe off the letter that you messed up. It comes right off if you do it quickly, so you can re-do/re-position that letter and try again! *Note- that only works with smooth wood that’s been spray painted like the one shown here…it probably would not wipe off of an uneven surface easily, so just be careful!*

Press down evenly, and pull directly up, so as not to smear it!

Once done stamping, I like to immediately wash my stamps off in the sink to get the paint off before it dries. Use running water and just rub/wipe the paint off and lay on a towel to dry.

Once the sign is dry, use a gel stain or regular stain to “distress.” I use the gel stains because they are not as messy and sticky to deal with. Wipe off the excess with an old rag. Sand more if you’d like. Make it as old and distressed looking as you’d like!

The imperfections are what make these signs great, and one-of-a-kind!

The other one I made for her…

Here are some other signs I have made using foam stamps.

Well that’s it for now. I hope this tutorial was helpful! As always, I’d love to see pix if you try to make these! Signs are fun and make great gifts…give it a whirl!!! 🙂

1. kalee
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 17:21:03

It looks great!!! Where did you find the actual stamps? i am having the hardest time finding them. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2011 @ 08:50:43

Thanks Kalee! All of my stamps were either bought online or at the craft store, like Joann Fabrics. “The Sweetness of Home Farms” sign was made with stamps from Joann’s. The craft stores don’t have a large selection of foam stamps, so just google “2” foam alphabet stamps” and see what comes up- that’s what I did! Good luck, and happy crafting! 🙂 ~ Maggie

2. Kylie
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 16:52:15

I absolutly love these!! I want to make ones for my home but im also having a hard time finding different fonts for these foam letters. Is there a special supplier you found for yours that you could share?? Thanks.

Jan 31, 2012 @ 09:11:34

Hi Kylie, sorry it took so long to get back to you! There is no special supplier for the foam stamps. They are hard to find and I got mine just by searching around online and finding them in random places. I got one set from Amazon I think and the others from different craft stores. I hope that helps. The craft stores have a few of the large foam stamps, but definitely no real selection. Just keep googling!! lol. Thanks for stoppin by my blog and have a great weekend!!! ~Maggie

3. Lynette
    Nov 12, 2012 @ 13:24:57

Hi. Great job, I just found you recently via pinterest and am stalking your blog. Question: when you use the gel stain on these signs, does that act as a sealer? In other words, are they then safe to hang out side in moisture? Thanks. (ps, I just started making dough ornaments at home, and I cannot wait to try some snow-people after seeing your examples)

Nov 13, 2012 @ 08:17:45

Hi Lynette, thank so much for stalking my blog! lol! I love it! The gel stain does not act as a waterproof sealer. If I am going to put a sign outdoors, I usually put on a few coats of poly, which seems to keep them in tact pretty well. Good luck on the dough ornies, those are really fun too. They are on my to-do list for this winter. Have a great day! Maggie 🙂

4. Lynn
    Feb 01, 2015 @ 13:11:51

Where can I buy various sized foam letter stamps

5. Dawn
    Sep 04, 2015 @ 20:26:48

PLEASE tell me where to find the letter stamps! I can’t find them anywhere.

Sep 07, 2015 @ 10:01:57

Hi Dawn, they are very hard to find unfortunately. I got all my large letter stamps online, at various places over the years…Etsy, random craft outlet stores…no specific store. 😦 Just Google it and see what comes up. I did find one set at Joann Fabrics but they do not have much of a selection as far as the bigger stamps. Good luck!