“The Stockings Were Hung” Signs

So…my basement is an absolute disaster getting ready for my craft show next weekend! Every where you turn, it kinda looks like this…Christmas CHAOS!

And it continues to be a homespun candy cane sweat shop…

Anyway, this year I attempted some signs that were at the request of my friend Christine. I think they a are great idea for those of us who don’t have mantles to hang our stockings on! They came out very cute, but it was a total experiment. There are some things I’ll probably do different if I make them again next year.

So I started by purchasing these pieces of wood at Lowes. You could use any scrap wood you have lying around too. I spray painted them red and brown, but in the future I’d like to do a hunter green or a light green I think. I lightly sanded the surface and the edges. I used foam stamps for the letters. I find it’s easier and way faster to stamp them in bulk. Stamp the first letter on all your boards, then the second letter on all the boards, and so on.

After the stamping was done, I (Greg) trimmed the excess edge off. He drilled some holes for me, slightly larger than the width of the knob screws I was going to use.

Before doing the knobs, I wanted to do a few things while the board was still flat! I used a gel stain (Deco Art) to give it a bit of an aged look. It’s a subtle difference in the picture but is more noticeable in person.

Next I used these “push in” picture hangers (Lowes) because they’re easy to work with.

I used this metal punch to make sure the edges were all the down way in. Line it up with the edges and hammer them flat!

My favorite part…the KNOBS! I LOVE these knobs from Hobby Lobby! I always wait til they are 50% off (which is often) and buy them in bulk for projects. I had fun picking out the color combos for these signs! Anyway, I lined them up with the width of the board to see where to trim them, so that the sign will lay flush against the wall. I used a white paint pen to mark where they needed to be cut.

I had to buy a bolt cutter for this project ($14 at Lowes) but it’s a GREAT tool and I know that I’ll use it again. Totally worth investing in it.

It cut the knob screws with virtually NO effort! SO AWESOME! 🙂 Forget hours of sawing with a hack saw!!!

I covered the knob screws with E-6000 (super-duper strong glue) and pushed them down into the pre-drilled holes.

And then waited oh so impatiently while they dried…

I am wondering if I should put a “…” after the work hung, like I have seen on some other similar signs online? Either way, I love them!!!

Some things I’d do differently are add more knobs and space the knobs farther apart. I’d also not do the brown, but maybe a light olive green or a dark hunter green. I was originally thinking that I wanted to do something neutral incase red didn’t fit someones color scheme, but I guess it doesn’t really matter around Christmas…cause everything is red and green! Maybe a blue & white one? Oh the decisions!!!

I am SOOOOOO excited for my craft show, mainly because I get to spend a weekend with my best friend. It’s always so much fun! Have a great weekend all you crafty super stars! 🙂

1. teeny
    Dec 02, 2011 @ 11:57:24

I love love love the signs! Can’t wait to see you too. I really like the brown signs, maybe some stamped sowflakes? Can’t wait to hang one up!

2. cheryl
    Dec 02, 2011 @ 17:49:46

Everything looks great! I love the table with the snowmen heads. They are so cute. Nice job on everything!

Dec 05, 2011 @ 05:32:30

Enjoy watching your step-by-step processes. You make it all seem so simple. Trick is-You have the eye!

4. Marcie
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 01:15:04

Where did you get the foam letter stamps? What type of paint did you use to stamp the letters?

Sep 16, 2012 @ 13:08:52

Hi Marcie! The stamps for those signs were purchased online. I just googled “large alphabet foam stamps” and those were ones that came up. There are usually large ones at the craft store but not a huge selection, that’s why I looked online. The paint I used was acrylic. It worked great – I’d recommend it. Good luck if you decided to try some signs! Happy Fall! 🙂 Maggie

5. Ashley
    Sep 17, 2012 @ 21:26:32

Are you selling a sign you made? If so I would love to purchase one 🙂

Sep 18, 2012 @ 08:41:17

Hi Ashley, I actually sold all of those signs! I was planning on making more for this years craft show but I am quickly running out of time, so I am not sure I will get around to it, but if I do, I will let you know!!! And thanks so much for reading my blog! 🙂 ~maggie

6. Katherine Ala
    Sep 23, 2012 @ 20:04:05

My house is decorated like a winter wonderland so I would surely be more interested in the neutral one, but that’s just me

7. Nicole Smith
    Oct 13, 2012 @ 15:59:34

I am so excited to find this! I have seen this picture on facebook, but was dying to find some instructions on how to make one! I have a couple of questions though. What is the length of your board and how far apart did you space your knobs? Do you think vinyl lettering cut from the cricut would work (or cardstock for that matter)? Also, I bought my knobs from ebay! Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to make this project this year for Christmas!

Oct 14, 2012 @ 18:37:58

Hi Nicole! I actually don’t remember the length of the boards exactly (I sold them all so I don’t have one to reference) – I want to say around 2 – 2.5 feet. You can totally adjust it though depending on what you want to do. If you want to space out the knobs and have the words all on one line, you could use a 2.5″ long board or longer. I spaced the knobs about 5″- 6″ apart, but if I did them again, I’d space them out probably 8″- 9″. I have never used a cricut so I don’t really know how they work – but if they are just letter that stick on the board, then I think it could work! You could even use letter stickers from the scrap booking section if you wanted – there are SO many ways to do this project! Best of luck and have fun! Thanks, Maggie 🙂

8. Trackback: 100 Christmas Crafts & Decorations - A Spectacled OwlA Spectacled Owl
  9. Tara Kramarsky
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 10:51:36

Hi there! I thought that this was so great that I featured it in my “100 Jolly Christmas Crafts & Decorations”! Have a great day! http://www.aspectacledowl.com/100-christmas-crafts-decorations/

10. Corrie
    Nov 21, 2012 @ 17:32:30

Thank you so much for sharing!! I’ve been trying for a while to find a way to hang our stockings in a cute way, now I can!!! I can’t wait to finish it and hang it up!!!! Thank you again 🙂 Corrie

11. Denise
    Dec 03, 2012 @ 15:55:06

I copied your idea for my home. I made mine Royal blue the words were silver and silver knobs. I am not crafty by any means but it didnt look to bad and I am pretty proud to take it on. Thank you for being so crafty and sharing your talents.

12. emily
    Dec 11, 2012 @ 14:21:46

youuuuu should make these and put them for sale on etsy, just saying i would buy one…. they are super cute!

13. jean
    Dec 20, 2012 @ 20:54:02

those homespun candy canes were cute. what do you have the material wrapped around?

14. anna
    Nov 09, 2013 @ 09:01:49

great ideas and thoughtful sharing of ideas. keep me on your list for updates. great site with tons of creativity. thanks, anna

15. Samantha
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 11:51:44

Do you remember how much you sold these for? I’d like to make and sell, but don’t know how much to charge.