A Few Last-Minute Projects

Wow! Only 3 days until my craft show up in the North Country! I have been working my @$$ off getting things ready and finishing up some last-minute projects, including using up some of the excess supplies I have had lying around. Remember those “vintage” style keys I found at Michael’s? I decided to make more decorative tags with them, since they have been selling well at the co-op. Whatever doesn’t sell at the craft show goes right back to the booth!

I also found some smaller keys with words on them in the scrapbooking section and thought they’d be super cute on the tags.

Another fun little project are these “Santa’s Key” signs. I had all these square red pieces of wood, that were left overs from “The Stockings Were Hung” signs. I didn’t want to throw them out, so I glued on some left over knobs (using E6000) and wrote Santa’s Key with a silver paint pen! I’ve seen this idea using hang tags with a key attached, but I thought a little wooden sign might be fun hanging next to the door!

You may have seen my little snowman clothespins, but I decided to change it up a little and try some gingerbread men. These have been sitting in a pile on my craft table for months because I didn’t like the way they were coming out. I finally figured out a simple face and I think they ended up being sort cute. I still like the snowmen better. šŸ™‚

A last-minute trip to the thrift store turned up some cool folk-artish Santa’s! The one on the left had green and blue crayon marks all over it which were easily cleaned off with a scrubby. The one on the right had a little chip out of the center (the little white spot in the middle of the red robe) which was quite noticeable in person. I mixed up some paint to match the red robe and touched it up. Good as new!

I also found a few little vintage kitties, a cute little choir boy, another fun Santa, and this little wooden box. Just a few fun knick-knacks. šŸ™‚

My favorite find was this wooden type set tray. Not sure if it’s a real old one or not but it’s still cool! I’ve always wanted one of these!

Guess that’s it for now…and I probably won’t be back til after the show. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Wish me luck!

1. Jenna
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 13:11:29

where is your show?

Dec 06, 2011 @ 15:01:51

Hi Maggie!
    Oh my ~ everything looks wonderful. You sure have been working your tail end off! LOL I wish you ALL the luck in the world. My aunt Pat was up in Potsdam for a trade show about a month ago (she’s a vendor.) I think your gingies are very cute. A thought ~ what about making a variation, two snowmen and two gingers together in the same pkg? Love the key crafts ~ so cool. Again, good luck! Tell us all about it!

Dec 06, 2011 @ 15:12:11

Thanks a bunch Mardell!! I love the idea of the mixing the snowmen and gingerbread men….I wanted to see if the gingerbread men would even sell (I can’t decide if I like them or not…). Maye next year!! Thanks again for all the encouragement, I will surely be posting some pictures in the near future! šŸ™‚ ~Maggie

3. cheryl
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 15:32:44

everything looks great and I love the keys

4. Kristin Thomas
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 18:01:47

Adorable things! Where did you find the clothespins? they don’t look like regular clothespins- they look fatter.
    Thanks

Dec 07, 2011 @ 09:48:47

Hi Kristin, thanks so much! The clothespins are from Walmart in the office supplies section. I think they are supposed to be some trendy paper-clip type thing. They are tiny and a bit wider, which is handy when painting the little faces on them! If you try them, send me a pic! šŸ™‚ ~Maggie

5. Cindy
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 18:59:36

Wishing you a great show!!
    hugs,
    Cindy

Dec 06, 2011 @ 20:18:02

Isn’t it funny how one thing leads to another-but it takes talent like yours to implement it all! Again-great ideas-Love those Keys!!

7. Trackback: Gingerbread Ornaments: Clothespins & Cinnamon Sticks « buggalcrafts
  8. Julie
    May 01, 2012 @ 11:57:28

Been searching the web for Santa Key ideas and loved yours!! Where did you get the keys? Are they large? Thanks.

9. Julie
    May 01, 2012 @ 11:59:32

Sorry just noticed you said Michaels. Our Michaels doesn’t carry them. I’ve already checked. Anyway, thanks for sharing you talent. šŸ™‚

May 03, 2012 @ 08:55:45

Hey Julie! My Michael’s only had those keys one time (the time I bought them ALL) and haven’t been back since. I have found them here and there in the jewelry section but are a couple bucks a piece, but with a coupon they might be worth picking up. Just keep your eye out…hopefully Michael’s will bring them back!!! Thanks for your nice comments šŸ™‚ ~Maggie

10. jennifer lashua
    Jun 20, 2013 @ 18:57:49

I saw the snowmen heads that you made…..do you have instructions on how there made….they look very cute..

11. Sue {munchkin munchies}
    Dec 21, 2014 @ 15:03:42

I made some gingerbread men cookie sticks inspired by your clothespins. šŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Here’s a link if you’d like to see them:

Dec 27, 2014 @ 09:52:25

OMG Sue…those are SOOOO cute!!! I love them!!! You are very talented and those cookie sticks came out so great. I am honored you used my pins as inspiration. šŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing and hope you are having a wonderful holiday season! maggie šŸ™‚

12. Joelle
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 07:02:43

I have that thing you called a wooden type set tray, but mine is from probably 34 years ago and it is a shelf for knick knacks.