An Enamel Top Table Fixer-Upper

First off, I wanted to say thank you to all of the awesome, encouraging comments people have been leaving here on my blog lately. I really never expected so many people to actually read and follow it! I really appreciate it and thank each and every one of you who have stopped by to say hello! 🙂

So of course I forgot to take a before picture of this enamel top table I got at a garage sale, but trust me, it was pretty rough. The top and leaves were in good shape, but the wooden base was all stained and the metal legs were very rusty. I started by removing the legs and painting the wooden table base black.

I thought I could shine up the chrome legs with some steel wool but after scrubbing them ruthlessly, the rust would not budge. It had actually eaten through and was pitted in some areas. I also scrapped the project and was going to leave the legs as is, but I stumbled across this shiny “metal” spray paint and thought I may as well try it out. First, I steel-wooled the crap out of the legs to smooth them out as much as possible.

Wow, it actually worked! Looks great!!! 🙂

The spray paint worked better than I anticipated and gave them back that “chrome” look! Even up close, it’s very convincing!

I even painted the old plastic drawer pull with the metal spray paint, to match the legs. I love how it turned out and hope someone snatches it up to enjoy on a porch or a  sun room!

In recent “pickin'” news…I had the best day EVER last Saturday and scored a bunch of great primitives!

Got a couple new crates which have been selling like hot cakes!

Some great firkin buckets…

A country tool/flat-ware carrier…

A super primitive wooden bowl

A wonderful red painted planting box / crate

A green vintage suitcase and an enamelware “slop bucket”

And a red silk-lined case of some sort. Wonder what it was used to carry?

Lastly are these fun, quirky vintage pins! I bought a crate at a garage sale and it was filled with these colorful old pins, some of which I found kind of humorous. Like “Preppies are people too…” 🙂 There were probably about 40-50 of them. I love little chotchkies like these…they are just FUN!

That’s all for today! Have a great weekend!!!

1. Eva Halloween
    May 18, 2012 @ 12:41:25

Ooo, love the last case! I have been on the hunt for something just like it for a project but was thinking about giving up and using an old guitar case. 🙂

2. Lisa Wells
    May 18, 2012 @ 13:32:26

I would say that is a guitar case. I love you site! I want to be just like you when I grow up! lol which at 55 I am not sure that is going to happen!

3. cathys niggli
    May 18, 2012 @ 13:45:43

what are the sizes of the sections on that box with all the dividers- would all my miniture vases in my headboard fit in to them?? if you think so bring it so i can take a look at it

4. cheryl
    May 18, 2012 @ 16:02:35

Oh, my gosh! You really did hit the jackpot! Almost all of those things you got look like things I have gotten to redo! Good job, Woman:) You got a lot of wonderful things. You could pick for me anytime!

May 20, 2012 @ 07:21:55

Love how you didn’t give up on that old table. It ended up looking amazing! Great pickin’! Love old boxes and things. I always figure they each have a story to tell.

May 25, 2012 @ 16:07:07

Hail to the Queen!! Jaw dropping transformation on the table. So amazing & I love your stamina & determination. Rock on girlie! Just beautiful. AND…of course love all of the other goodies. Gets my fingers-justa-itchin for garage sales! 🙂 Not to mention I HAVE to get out to see your booth ~ just have to. Hey, a b-day gift I can request in July!

Have a spectacular holiday weekend. Gonna be a hot one!
    Hugs from Mardell in Pavilion.

7. Tina @ Living Life Wright
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 11:07:35

The case with the red lining looks like a flute (instrument) case.