Dollar Store Salt Shakers + Vintage Buttons = Button Flower Bouquets

It’s me again! I am on a crafting BINGE! I don’t know what’s gotten into me! Maybe because it’s been sunny and “Spring” feeling these last few days? I don’t know, but I’m going with it! 🙂

I have a fun “dollar store craft” for you! I made these cute little vintage button bouquets using Dollar Tree salt shakers (you can also find some at the thrift store for super cheap, like the ones here on the left) and some buttons and wire that I had on hand. So easy and a perfect Spring craft!

DSC_0124

I also used twine for a bow accent, and shredded paper (also found at Dollar Tree) to stuff inside the shakers and help hold wire stems in place. I suggest using a pair of pliers that have a cutting edge on them, so you don’t jack up your scissors while cutting the wire.

DSC_0159

To make the stems, you are going to twist the two sides of the wire together. Fold the wire piece over and cut it roughly the length you want the stem to be – keeping in mind it will be a tad shorter after twisting it together.

DSC_0134

Layer your buttons to make fun, colorful little “flowers.” Slide the ends of the wire through your button flower and start twisting them together tightly, to create a sturdy stem. Cut off the excess wire.

DSC_0125

DSC_0127

Stuff a small amount of shredded paper down in the salt shaker to help hold the stems in place. You could use more buttons, beads, floral foam, or nothing at all…whatever you want!

DSC_0130

DSC_0132

Make as many flowers as you’d like! They are fun to make!

DSC_0135

My first bouquet is a red and brown theme

DSC_0137

And my second bouquet was a blue and black theme

DSC_0149

I photographed them for Etsy but decided at the last-minute to bring them to the co-op. They are currently in my booth at The Carriage Place. I can’t wait to make more!

DSC_0139

Last night I photographed a ton of new stuff I am putting in my Etsy store, and I wanted to let all my fellow crafters, that have booths or small shops, know that I am going to be selling these word blocks in groups of 6 at a wholesale price. I ordered way too many of them, so they’ll be in my shop this week at some point. They would be a great little item to resell, if you’re into country/prim decor like me!

DSC_0218

DSC_0227

I also wanted to share a few great thrift store finds from today! A great enamelware tin pan, an apothecary style jar (these sell like hot cakes in my booth!) some wooden plaques for future craft projects, vintage tin molds, and a small wooden platter with a glass cloche. I am going to paint the wooden base – probably black with a yellow prim star in the middle.

DSC_0367

I was also sooooooooo excited to find some unique Scrabble tiles from a “Deluxe” edition of the game; 100 tiles for only $4! Best of all, they are maroon colored! I love that they are different from the regular Scrabble tiles, yet are a great color for country crafting!

DSC_0120

And lastly, I had to share this find…..these brown kraft boxes were only $1 for a bag of 6!!! If you have an A.C. Moore’s, go grab some before they are discontinued!!! I was “that person” who depleted their inventory. Hehe. I am going to stamp them eventually. Love the variety of shapes!

DSC_0369

That’s all for today! Have a great weekend and Happy Crafting!!!

1. cheryl
    Mar 09, 2013 @ 17:20:28

Love the button flowers! I had seen them on Pinterest quite some time ago and was totally taken by them.

I can’t wait to see what you do with the little boxes:) Cheryl

2. cheryl
    Mar 09, 2013 @ 17:36:39

I just did another search on Pinterest and was amazed at the wide variety of ways people are doing the button flowers now. So many possiblities. Love the button flowers:)

Mar 10, 2013 @ 08:24:20

Thanks so much Cheryl! I love the button flowers too! I can’t stop making them! I searched for them too, when I started the project, and I love all the variations people have come up with! So many creative minds out there…gotta love Pinterest! 🙂

3. Booth #555
    Mar 09, 2013 @ 19:39:00

Great Job! my fav is the mostly blue and then the mostly red ones. Love them. Great idea! I have a few new salt/pepper shaker sets left over from xmas, imay have to give these a try 🙂

Mar 10, 2013 @ 07:41:13

That enamelware tinpan is a great find. Amazing what you can do with Buttons-great idea!

5. Sharon
    Mar 11, 2013 @ 13:41:45

Great ideas. Let me know when signs are ready for etsy I’d love some.

Sharon

6. Sara Hayes
    Mar 11, 2013 @ 20:34:02

The button shakers are so cute!! What a great idea…i bet they will sell good for you 🙂 I need a thrift store near me like yours..lol. Love the scrable pieces great deal and the enamelware i love i collect the green kind to 😉

Mar 12, 2013 @ 09:51:27

Hi Maggie,
    Love your button flowers!! Adorable. I wonder if you cut a circle of burlap to cover up the top? Then hold it on w/twine (with a bow.) I’m thinking that you’d still be able to poke the wire stems through the burlap.

I’m so happy that you have your crafty mojo back! You’re right, it must be the sun & little bit warmer temps. Does wonders!!

8. Alexis
    May 11, 2013 @ 20:35:59

How much do they sell for?

9. Alexis
    May 11, 2013 @ 20:49:09

They are adorable! Also, are they a top seller?
    Thanks,
    Alexis

May 12, 2013 @ 08:22:17

Thanks! I only made 3 of them to start, to sell in my booth, and 2 sold right away. The other is still there. I think at a craft show they might sell better. They are so darn cute and I plan on making more. I sold mine for $6 each. Hope that helps. Thanks for checking out my blog!!! 🙂 ~maggie

10. Alexis
    May 15, 2013 @ 19:34:29

OK then. Thank you for answering my question. 🙂

11. Lynn in Alabama
    May 17, 2013 @ 15:10:47

Thank you for the tutorial. I made the button flowers today. I put a link to your blog.

12. Trackback: Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Make Salt Shaker Button Bouquets
  13. Betty Bonn
    Apr 12, 2015 @ 15:36:03

I do not know how to make crafts as a rule, but these look easy enough for a beginner. I am inspired to make these for my garage sale! I have no idea how to price these. Would you suggest a price to ask for them?

Thank you!

Betty Bonn

Apr 13, 2015 @ 08:23:04

Hi Betty! As a rule for pricing, I always consider the cost of the supplies that go into the project. If you’re going to use nice old antique salt shakers, I’d price them higher. The ones that I made using the dollar store salt shakers were priced at about $4.50 in my booth and they all sold. You could try around $4 and see how it goes! Good luck and have fun with them, I loved making those little bouquets. 🙂 ~maggie