Dry Erase Paint Chip Calendar

Yes I stole paint chips, and no I don’t feel bad about it! We ARE planning on painting our bathroom at some point so I was…umm…getting ideas for that. Hehe. I’ve been wanting to do a paint chip dry erase board for ages and thought it would be handy to have on the counter with all kinds of summer plans starting to pop up!

First I went over to one of my favorite websites http://www.design-seeds.com to get some color palette ideas. I found many I liked and ended up going with an overall muted theme. This is a fun site to get color ideas for all of your projects…

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 1.21.18 PM

DSC_1355

This could easily become a “Dollar Store Craft” if you got a frame and dry erase markers at your local dollar store. I actually looked there first and couldn’t find a frame I liked, so I got this one from Wally World. I like the white frame with the white stripes on the paint chips. An 11 x 14 is the perfect size to fit 7 average sized paint chips, side by side.

DSC_1357

Take out mat and lay the paint chips down facing the glass. I put a small piece of tape on the backs to hold them together, so minimize shifting under the glass.

DSC_1368

I cut a small strip of burlap for the top where I will write the month. You could use anything here – plain paper or a fun scrapbooking paper would work great too.

DSC_1369

The white lines aren’t perfectly straight, but oh well. I’m too lazy to take it apart and line them up. πŸ™‚

DSC_1371

Here she is, all finished! I am looking for the perfect place to hang it. A paper towel or napkin wipes the dry erase marker right off. I will likely use this to organize dinner ideas for the week too.

DSC_1374

The burlap strip I used along the top of the calendar was left over from a bunch of burlap I bought to cover one of my walls at the co-op. The wall was gross and covered in scoffs and nail holes, and I just don’t have time to paint it right now. I opted for an easier and cuter option…covering it in a giant sheet burlap! I bought 8 yards at Joann’s and hung it up using a stapler (I was going to use a staple gun but couldn’t find one, but a normal stapler worked fine on the soft drywall). I then nailed up some grapevine swags along the top to sort of distract from the uneven edges and also give it a country look. I love the results.

IMG_20130522_203823_150

I did a major over-haul on my booth and moved stuff around to give it a fresh look. I also brought in a bunch of new pieces. Here are some updated pics. πŸ™‚

IMG_20130522_204032_993

IMG_20130522_204012_810

IMG_20130522_203933_868

IMG_20130522_203951_789

IMG_20130522_203904_801

IMG_20130522_203846_866

IMG_20130522_203832_691

Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all those who have served and continue to serve! You are all true HEROES and we thank you!

1. Jeana
    May 27, 2013 @ 14:57:28

This is the cutest thing ever! I too pick up paint chip samples, as I have a 6-yr old granddaughter who is obsessed in cutting these into teeny tiny pieces and storing them in zip lock bags. Now I will be keeping some! :0)

May 28, 2013 @ 15:50:38

Thanks Jeana, they are so versitle! I love the ideas online like punching confetti out of them or using them to make little accents for homemade cards and art! Hope you and your granddaughter continue to have fun crafting together! πŸ™‚ I bet she is a fun partner in crime! hehe

2. Cheryl Weaver
    May 27, 2013 @ 15:58:37

Love the paint chip idea. Yes, I, too, have picked up paint chip samples at Lowes ( for a future painting project;) but never did anything with them. Good job!

3. Cheryl Weaver
    May 27, 2013 @ 15:59:08

Wouldn’t paint chips be a great way to make a mosaic?

4. mary root
    May 27, 2013 @ 16:17:15

Super cute! And I love your booth – you arrange it so beautifully! (o;

5. cathys niggli
    May 27, 2013 @ 17:38:04

saw the stained glass in your booth- heres an idea-hang it in the middle of a picture window in your new place, use chains (and a plant hanger?)-the light will shine through it- Beth had a small one at her house – in a bathroom window- it was vey cool

6. Pamela Bennett
    May 28, 2013 @ 07:08:38

you continue to inspire me, i have the crafting bug so bad(or good) i feel such A kindred spirit with you, can’t wait to hace a booth someday too

May 28, 2013 @ 15:46:59

Thank you Pamela, you are so sweet. Some day you will have a booth. I said that forever and finally one day I just took the leap. I have the crafting bug too…except all my craft stuff is still packed (just moved) so I have been trying to accomodate the bug with little projects that were fairly easy like the paint chip calendar! Keep on craftin and hope you have a wonderful day! Thanks for followin my blog, I truly appreciate it! πŸ™‚

7. Ronda in Kentucky
    May 29, 2013 @ 09:11:20

Umm, okay, that’s pretty stinking cute. Looks blonde-friendly even! : )

May 30, 2013 @ 06:18:00

What a great idea-who knew paint chips had another use! Love your booth-it’s all in how you display the stuff and you do it perfectly!