Fun & Easy DIY Ornament: Vintage Toy Car & Christmas Tree

Another Pinterest inspired craft has taken over my kitchen counter, this time in the form of cute toy cars toting Christmas trees! Some are table top decorations and some are hanging ornaments for the tree; it is up to you which kind to make. They are fun and super-duper easy. Here’s my version!

DSC_0418

First I went to the Christmas section of A.C. Moore to get some bottle-brush trees, but being so close to Christmas, they were sold out! Luckily, I was able to find some in the dollhouse section where there is a variety of miniature items. I found a package with different sized trees and snow-covered branches…perfect!

DSC_0413

I got the vintage themed cars at Walmart. You could use any cars you want, but I just love the vintage look of the VW’s and old Chevy’s!

DSC_0414

To tie them atop the cars, I used red & white baker’s twine and thin hemp that I had on hand. This particular type of hemp is found in the jewelry-making section of the craft store.

DSC_0415

Then, simply tie them on top! Some tutorials said glue the tree in place, but I didn’t find that necessary.

DSC_0420

DSC_0416 2

With the Chevy’s, I was able to slide the hemp through the windows. For the buses, I had to tie them all the way around. Both look pretty cute!

DSC_0419 copy

DSC_0416

DSC_0421

Great for stocking stuffers, craft shows, small gifts, or for decorating the house! I just love these and can’t wait to make more!!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my friends, family, and blog buddies! 🙂

1. Reba Corder
    Dec 21, 2013 @ 21:35:46

Wishing your whole family a very Texas sized Merry Christmas

2. just ß.
    Dec 22, 2013 @ 17:28:55

Very clever!

3. Kim
    Dec 23, 2013 @ 08:49:50

Those are so cute and look even easy for me to make!!!

4. Tammy
    Dec 27, 2013 @ 17:18:48

These are adorable and do look simple to make. My guys love vintage cars the best.

5. RadiantWild
    Dec 30, 2013 @ 02:39:46

This is awesome! I guess I’m late on this but here’s always next year…

6. Jenny
    Jan 18, 2014 @ 22:23:53

I am late, too, but this is a fantastic idea. I will definitely make this as gift toppers next year.

7. Trackback: 27+ DIY Toy Car Projects For Kids Crazy for Hot Wheels and Matchbox Cars! - Hello Creative Family
  8. Trackback: 27+ DIY Christmas Ornaments Kids Can Craft - Hello Creative Family
  9. Rhonda Gales (@RhondaGales)
    Nov 20, 2016 @ 09:34:11

I love this idea. I’m adding the trees and cars to my shopping list. These would be perfect to add to my grandson’s gifts. He loves the hot wheels, and his sister can use the trees for doll houses. Thanks for sharing.

10. Trackback: She Paints A Key White To Create A Gift For Christmas I Have To Try Too • Kids
  11. Trackback: She Paints A Key White To Create A Gift For Christmas I Have To Try Too - DIY CHICKS
  12. Trackback: She Paints A Key White To Create A Gift For Christmas I Have To Try Too – Homemade Ideas