Easy Country Decor Ideas: Filling Old Jars

Happy Independence Day to all my crafty friends out there! A day off work meant a little time to do some thrifting this morning, and boy did I score some great stuff! It also got the crafty juices flowing and I decided to do a little bit of tinkering with some left over mason jars and jar-filler ideas. I always seem to have an abundance of mason jars from other projects, garage sales, etc. I can never resist buying them if the price is right, because I always seem to find a use for them! 🙂

DSC_0001

Forgive me if you’ve seen similar pictures and content from previous posts – this is just a recap of all the jar filler ideas I’ve done in the past few years! 😀

The first set of jars I filled with glass marbles. They look great as is, but would also look nice with a twine bow or homespun ribbon tie. I like them just plain!

DSC_0009

Where did I get the marbles you ask? You’ll never believe it…

DSC_0003

The dollar store!!! Not the Dollar Tree, but a random dollar store called “Real Deals.” That’s why I say you have to stop at all different kinds of dollar stores whenever you see them, because you just never know what kind of great crafting supplies you’ll find! I love these because they look genuinely vintage, but were a fraction of the price!

DSC_0005

Vintage buttons make for another great jar filler. These two particular jars are for sale in my Etsy shop. Old buttons are so beautiful and interesting to look at, so why not display them as art? 🙂 I also like to use other types of glass jars like this one on the left, which I think is a vintage jam jar. Not sure though, but I love its textured look and weathered tin lid.

DSC_0006

I filled the next set of jars with some “fixins” which I had lying around, waiting to be scented. I decided to put them in the jars unscented and will tie on a small vial of scenting oil to go with them, so people can refresh the scent now and again. I took out the flat metal lid that goes under the screw cap and replaced it with a square of homespun fabric. I think I will do a big batch of these for Fall and tie on a little tag with a crow or pumpkin on it. I buy these rosehips/putka pods in bulk from various suppliers online.

DSC_0008

Here are a few jars I have filled that are already decorating my house. More vintage buttons and clay marbles from a flea market.

DSC_0010

Dang I love those old clay marbles! I think it’s the palette of earth tone colors that gets me. 🙂

DSC_0011

Here’s how I have some jars displayed, just to give you some ideas.

DSC_0016

DSC_0020

Another easy and cheap bowl filler idea are old Christmas tree bulbs! I find them at every freakin garage sale and estate sale I go to, always buried on the big table of Christmas crap that no one wants. Therefore, they are often very cheap! Obviously these would be great sellers at Christmas craft shows. Accents with a little jingle bell or Christmas themed fabric ties would look great too!

DSC_0018

My last idea for today’s post are old keys. I buy lots of skeleton keys where ever I can, and they often include random other types of keys (more like “modern” key shapes and generally more boring/run of the mill keys) which I usually toss to the side. This is the jar I found at the thrift store today and I thought they’d go perfect together. I really like how it looks and think I’ll keep this one. 😛

DSC_0026

Well here they are all together! I am obsessed! I love them all!!!

DSC_0024

Some other ideas that come to mind are:

• Acorns
  • Cool lookin’ seed pods
  • Potpourri
  • Sea Shells
  • Sea Glass
  • Wax tarts
  • Jacks (the old children’s game)
  • Old pins, brooches, or vintage clip on earrings

What other jar filler ideas can you guys think of? Send me pics of your jar decorations and I’ll post ’em here! Have a great 4th!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Here is a picture of some mason jar center pieces filled with lovely black & white family photos, created by reader Susie! Here is the link to her full post: http://www.susiewittwer.com/2013/01/mason-jars-family-photos.html. I just love the idea of using vintage papers/photos inside the jars!  😛

mason jars pic 13

1. Susie Wittwer
    Jul 04, 2014 @ 16:05:30

Oh, I love old jars. And I love your ideas for filling them!
    This is a link to a a blog post showing how I filled mason jars to use as centerpieces.

Jul 04, 2014 @ 19:12:52

How wonderful to use old photos inside the jars! I love your ideas and your post! I hope you don’t mind if I feature one of your pictures on my post ~ I never would have thought of paper items! 🙂 Thanks for your comment Susie! ~maggie

2. LC
    Jul 07, 2014 @ 16:05:49

Love all your thrifty finds. My jars of buttons are selling great but the marbles are slower here. But I love them all. Your jar of old clay marbles are my fav!

3. Jenny Wik
    Jul 22, 2014 @ 00:21:19

I just found your blog by chance and I LOVE it!!!! I plan on checking back regularly for some inspiration and just to drool over your talent and creativity!

Aug 11, 2014 @ 13:08:59

Thanks so much for your kind comment Jenny! Ugh, I SO need to get back into crafting mode but I am so darn busy and my craft area is collecting dust! One of these days! Anyway thanks for checking out my blog and I hope to be back soon ~maggie

4. cyndi mulvany
    Aug 06, 2014 @ 22:11:42

I really enjoyed looking at all your crafts/ideas & “the deals” you found at various $ stores.

5. Lila
    Aug 29, 2014 @ 17:05:43

Your craft room misses you! And so do I !!!!

Aug 30, 2014 @ 09:16:38

Hi Lila! I can’t tell you how much I miss crafting but I am so busy lately and am having a major “crafter’s block”! Ugh, it’s so frustrating! I have started a couple different projects and when they don’t come out as I plan, I get frustrated and just stop! I hope to get some motivation once Fall hits. Thanks for your nice comment; I miss all my fellow crafters and being here too! Have a great Labor Day weekend! maggie

6. rose hendershot
    Sep 17, 2014 @ 07:47:19

I miss your frequent post! I check back all the time! I understand the “crafter’s block” though! I currently am suffering from it and getting tired of everyone asking me what I have made recently! Hope we both recover soon!!

Sep 24, 2014 @ 09:10:19

Thanks Rose and I am soooooo sorry for not posting recently! Every time I get in the mood to do a project, I just don’t have time!! Normally this time of year inspires me so hopefully I can work on something soon. Darn that crafter’s block too! Thanks for checking back often and so sorry again to be leaving you hanging! Happy Fall!!!

7. Jan Reeves Hagstrom
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 00:04:46

I’ve been looking at you really cool creations. They are wonderful. Something I didn’t see was stuff made from scrap quilts. I have a really old one that has holes in it. It was made by my father-in-law and his sister and folks probably in the 20’s. I’m thinking about making some chain looped garland out of some of it. What do you think ? I’ve been working on Christmas gifts for girl friends from high school. That was in the early 70’s. So we like primitive stuff. 😊

Nov 02, 2014 @ 05:55:59

Hi Jan, thanks so much. I love that idea of the chain looped garland. I love garlands of all types, and that seems like it would be very cute on a Christmas tree maybe. What a cool way to recycle those old quilts. Hope you have fun crafting and thanks for stopping by!

8. Kaitlyn
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 14:27:17

Love your posts! Came across you on my daily addiction (pinterst). I was wondering what your etsy.com shop name is? I’m from albion and I was in the carriage shop over the summer. Spent two hours looking at all the stuff. Love that place 🙂 I’m decorating my newly built home with primitive things so I’d love to check out your shop 🙂

Jan 12, 2015 @ 14:54:35

Hi Kaitlyn, that’s so awesome that you were at The Carriage Place! It’s such a fun little co-op. I actually closed my Etsy store and only sell stuff at the Carriage Place now. It was too much work for me and I just got too busy to handle the online store. Thanks anyway, I appreciate you reaching out and am flattered you’d want to decorate with my stuff! I love the primitive theme too. Thanks and maybe I’ll run into you at the co-op some day! 🙂 maggie