Snowman Wine Bottle Toppers

I was out doing some shopping and came across these cute little hat ornaments and “DING”…a light bulb went off and I thought I could use them for snowman hats. Yes, Christmas displays are in full swing at all the big box stores; I got these at Walmart, next to all the tree ornaments. If you can’t find these particular hats, there are other options out there. Look in the ornament section for different types of hats, and check the doll-making section of the craft stores. You can also click here for a link to some hats you could use instead.

DSC_0007

I had these little terra cotta pots in my craft stash of supplies. I think you can get them at any craft store.

DSC_0006

I painted them white using my heavy artists’ while acrylic paint, since I was out of regular white craft paint. Warning: it takes a gazillion coats to cover the terra cotta. You’ll probably have to do 4-5 coats with the regular craft acrylic. Spray painting might have been an easier option.

DSC_0011

Then I painted on some faces. I love making snowman stuff, because the faces are so easy to paint. You can make the noses all different shapes and sizes.

DSC_0013

I then used a hot glue gun to adhere the hats to the top of the snowman pots. At this point, I thought I was done. But they seemed plain, like they were missing something…

DSC_0016

So I decided to add some little homespun fabric scarfs. I just tore little strips and tied them on.

DSC_0018

They fit perfect on top of a wine bottle. They would make fun stocking stuffers or a nice complement to that bottle of wine you’re giving as a Christmas gift.

DSC_0030

DSC_0026

They also make cute little “shelf sitters” and can go anywhere, not just on top of a wine bottle! I think I will try selling them for $3.50-$4.00 a piece at my co-op.

DSC_0024

I had a lot of fun working on this project. It has helped motivate me a bit and I have some other cool little Christmas-themed projects in the works. Hope to share them with you soon!!! πŸ™‚

Nov 09, 2014 @ 09:36:05

LOVE them Margaret!

2. cathys niggli
    Nov 09, 2014 @ 10:44:56

so cute as always, your idea’s never fail to delight

3. Sandi Allen
    Nov 09, 2014 @ 11:46:22

Love these!

4. Debbie Johnson
    Nov 09, 2014 @ 13:34:05

I wasn’t able to open up the pictures 😦 & I LOVE your posts!!!

Nov 09, 2014 @ 13:43:02

Hi Debbie, sorry you couldn’t see the pics. Were you viewing it in your email? If so, try viewing the actual blog site instead of through the email version of the post. I uploaded them the same way I always do so not sure what the issue is! 😦 Hopefully you’ll have better luck viewing them at the actual blog website! ~maggie

5. wineandhistory
    Nov 09, 2014 @ 15:11:10

What a wonderful idea! For someone like me who is not crafty at all, this looks like something simple enough to do. Thank you for sharing!

6. Mary
    Nov 10, 2014 @ 15:43:15

So cute! I’ve had 3 or 4 of those little terra cotta pots kicking around for years and now I know what to do with them! Thanks for the inspiration! (o;

7. Echo
    Nov 11, 2014 @ 15:07:03

What a great idea!! I also love the car ornament idea! great for the husband!

Nov 14, 2014 @ 09:52:10

Thanks, and yes, perfect for those hard-to-buy-for men on the list!!! I just love them and actually just finished a new batch of them for this year, which I have pictures of for my next post! πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by Echo! πŸ™‚

8. Mary-Camille Olean, NY
    Nov 11, 2014 @ 17:28:54

I love these little hats! I found them by accident and used one on a little snowman that I made out of a little bottle that, oddly, had 3 snowman “bumps”. Perfect fit! I now have 3 left – well, 2. I seriously maimed one try to “gently” get the little clips off the bottom of the hat, πŸ™‚ Probably will use them for hats on cork snowman heads. Don’t you just love snowmen.

Mayr-Camille

Nov 14, 2014 @ 09:50:55

Yes I do love snowmen too Mary-Camille! I love painting them, mainly because they are easy and always seem to turn out well. Haha. I just loved those hats and am trying to think of other projects to use them with. Happy (early) holidays and happy crafting! ~maggie

9. Rose Sebastionelli-Hendershot
    Nov 11, 2014 @ 19:06:08

ADORABLE!! Thank you for sharing this!! πŸ™‚

10. misskitty1222
    Nov 17, 2014 @ 17:24:41

YEAYYYY!!!! I am SOOOOO HAPPY to see your post!!!! I LOVE LOVE your blog so much!!! YOUR blog is what got me started on doing Primitive crafts for myself…then others for a small profit! I never knew how easy it could be until I came across one of your tutorials on Pinterest! There were a few tutorials, HOWEVER, yours is only a handful that STILL posts to the blog and not all your posts are from 2010…so you know its the current way to do things! And, I always come back to you! Lol! I even check to see if Im pricing too high or low, by seeing what you charge and gauging that way! So, I somehow missed your Halloween cupcake post and this one, but luckily I was stopping buy to check out your Snowman Pop and saw this! I love it! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with a newish Prim crafter…I also volunteer at a local Thrift Shop at my local council on again and bc its run by volunteers and all things are donated, we are SUPER cheap…and AWESOME stuff comes in daily, so I have TONS of stuff to work with, and with blogs like yours, tons of ways to Prim out my home…and that of other like minded Prim lovers! Oh, I was going to say, I can get stuff cheap and make my own whereas before, I could only decorate my home with prims that I happened across at yard sales bc its just SOOO expensive in the prim shops around here!! Anyway, thank you again, and I ALWAYS look forward to seeing your posts!!!! =)

Nov 18, 2014 @ 08:27:13

Oh man, you are so stinkin sweet!!! Thank you SOOO much for the very nice comments! I felt horrible that I went almost the whole summer without posting because I just had NO time and did hardly any crafting at all. Now that Christmas is coming I am feeling some inspiration, mainly because I just love doing the snowmen! I agree with you that part of what makes them so great is that you can leave them out all winter long, even after the holidays!!! I am so jealous that you get first dibs on the stuff coming into the thrift store you work at, I bet there is tons of awesome stuff you get your hands on before anyone else…which reminds me I have to get over to the thrift store SOON…it’s been way too long. Thank you again for being my little cheerleader…it’s cause of people like you that I started thing blog…to help out fellow crafters who want that prim look without spending your life savings on decorating!!! Have a great holiday season and have fun with all your crafting! πŸ™‚ ~maggie

11. misskitty1222
    Nov 17, 2014 @ 17:33:43

Oh, and I wanted to add..I love Snowmen as well!!! Not just bc they are adorable, easy to make and easy to grunge…but the best part…you can leave them out until Spring!!!!! I always feel like my house looks so plain and empty (if that’s possible!! Lol!!) after I put all the Christmas away, but these past couple yrs, I have left the snowmen out until I put out the spring! So fun!!!

12. Liddia Beeman
    May 29, 2015 @ 19:31:11

I was wondering if you could paint the kureg coffee containers to make a snowman hat.