Simple Winter Snowman Signs

Here are some very simple winter signs that I made using some wood plaques I picked up at the thrift store a while back. They were half off, making them a dollar each! Even if you’re not great at painting free-hand, these snowmen are really easy!

First I painted the plaques black using a basic craft acrylic paint. They weren’t covered completely with one coat, but that’s okay because the next step is to distress them with sandpaper.

Just take a small piece of sandpaper and give them a good once-over.

I speckled some white paint to make the “snow” effect, using some slightly watered-down white paint and a firm paint brush. I just pulled the bristles back and flicked it over top of the plaques. I then free-handed the words and painted big white circles for the snowman heads. You could also use foam stamps or stencils for the words.

Next, paint big orange noses, little pink circles for the cheeks, and black dots for the eyes and mouths.

Once dry, I did one coat of sparkle mod podge. It acts as a sealer but also give them a little sparkle. This step is not necessary though if you’re going to be keeping them inside.

For hanging, I simply used two small nails to tack down a strip of torn homespun.

Here they are, all finished. You can’t really appreciate the sparkle in this pic, but they look quite festive in person.

And here’s a pic of them hanging up in my booth along with some of the Christmas crafts I made in the last few posts!

Hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving!

1. Julie Pauley
    Nov 28, 2014 @ 10:10:50

Just adorable! thank you for a great post. My girls and I were just looking for something to do today and being the hoarder that I am…I have all we need:) Best wishes.

2. Found This Painted That
    Nov 28, 2014 @ 12:33:31

Those are ridiculously cute and Look totally do-able!

3. misskitty1222
    Nov 28, 2014 @ 14:44:00

LOVE it!!!!! I didn’t even know Mod Podge had a glitter one! I bought the Aleens Glitter Decoupage on clearance at AC Moore for like $2 (it was a while ago, but I remember it being around $2, I went back and got another one, and would’ve grabbed more, but they didn’t have any more on clearance!) and LOVE it! Which is odd because I find Aleens decoupage reg stuff to be really watery! Anyway, super cute, and I cant wait to try it, I have a few of these board things I got on clearance! Lol!!! I didn’t know what ot do w them, but this is too cute!!!

Nov 30, 2014 @ 14:17:54

Thanks misskitty!!! πŸ™‚ Have fun if you give them a try! And yes, mod podge comes in all sorts of awesome finishes…there is sparkle and glitter…I like the sparkle better for that Christmas-y look!! Have a great holiday!! ~maggie

4. Terry Schmucker
    Nov 28, 2014 @ 15:20:31

They are adorable……..

Nov 29, 2014 @ 23:15:08

Love the snow effect method! Very cute idea-as always!

6. Patricia
    Dec 01, 2014 @ 13:26:51

Sometimes you can find plaques with stuff on them at thrift stores too. Sand them to remove whatever is on them and then follow directions listed. Takes a bit more time, but it is frugal and the results are really nice.

7. Rose Sebastionelli-Hendershot
    Dec 01, 2014 @ 19:37:35

Adorable!! Thank you Maggie!!

8. Bonnie Russell
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 05:18:09

You are so creative! I just love your blog. You really inspire me with your projects. Do you teach classes? You should….sign me up.
    Happy Holidays!

Dec 16, 2014 @ 12:55:55

You go girl!!! LOVE these! Did you use a paint pen for the lettering? Looks perfect! I mean, wow…absolutely CAUUUUTE!

Merry Christmas to you & your hubby!

10. nananay01
    Dec 21, 2014 @ 19:39:49

Thes are adorable! How much would you charge for the snowman signs? Love your work! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Dec 27, 2014 @ 09:50:20

Hi there, I put a price tag of around $7-8 dollars on them (can’t remember exactly). We are a small co-op and so I tend to price things on the low end to help move stuff. Hope that helps. Thanks for your kind comment and Happy Holidays to you as well! πŸ™‚ Maggie

11. Booth 555 (
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 13:02:52

Awesome Looking!
    A few years ago I did kinda the same look, with the snowman on the corner and snow falling, but put them on recycled cabinet doors. And then I had some left over signs that I had ordered by the ton that didn’t sell, so I painted over them.

Ps. I’m finally getting a little bit back into crafting again. And can’t wait to see more of what you come up with soon!

12. ravenantonia
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 00:33:08

Hi, just found your site and I have not see any new post. The last one I see is this post. I hope you are still blogging, and I get to see more soon.

Apr 08, 2015 @ 07:39:21

Hi there. I have not posted anything new because I just haven’t been doing much crafting lately. I am hoping that Spring time will bring me some motivation to start some new projects. Thanks for you comment and for visiting my blog! ~maggie

13. Pam