A New Batch of Silicone Dipped Bulbs & Country Night Lights

It’s been a few years since I’ve made these country night lights with silicone dipped bulbs. In case you haven’t seen my old post on how to make them, here is a refresher! They are cheap to make and great items to sell at craft shows, or for your booth at a craft shop or co-op. For some reason they make me think of Fall, and I love to make them this time of year!

DSC_0130

First, get your night lights at the dollar store. I got these at The Dollar Tree. The bases come in all different colors. I tend to do mostly black and white, but this time I threw in a few blue and aqua ones.

DSC_0100

DSC_0105

Don’t mind my ugly carpet background…was crafting in the basement last night. Along with the night lights, I picked up these packages of extra bulbs. I like to make extra bulbs and sell them as replacements.

DSC_0114

For the bulbs to cure, you need to hang them immediately after dipping. I ran a piece of twine between two shelves and used clothespins to hold them in place.

DSC_0107

Your supplies for the bulbs consist of silicone, a little cup for dipping, cinnamon (optional) and a disposable stick to mix with. I add the cinnamon for a warm, primitive look. You can leave the silicone plain too. I use the basic Walmart brand of silicone. Some brands will work better than others – it’s all trial and error. I’ve had the best luck with this stuff. It seems to be just the right consistency.

DSC_0113

You also need one of these gun thingys, to squirt out the silicone. We happened to have one but they are available next to the silicone in Walmart.

DSC_0115

I ended up tossing my flimsy plastic cup and used a glass cup. It was easier to hold on to while dipping. I find that it works best to fill the cup up completely with the silicone mixture. Take the bulbs and dip them down in and turn them slightly to get the silicone to cover the base of the bulb. Then pull out quickly to create the long “tip”. This can be really challenging and takes some practice.

DSC_0119

You must work quickly because the silicone starts to cure and becomes more difficult to work with. Within 15-20 minutes, the silicone in your cup will probably be stiffer and less pliable. Hang them upside down with your clothespins and let them cure for at least 24 hours.

DSC_0120

When I was done with the bulbs, I worked on the bases. I tied on little strips of homespun fabric, finished with little rusty stars and hearts. For the hearts and stars, I just hot-glued them on. Don’t worry; the night lights to not get warm enough to melt the hot glue.

DSC_0121

Here they are all assembled!

DSC_0123

DSC_0124

I love the warm look you get from the cinnamon. Unfortunately they do not smell like cinnamon though.

DSC_0125

DSC_0132

For a display, I used an old cardboard box and covered the inside with scrapbooking paper. Punch holes through the cardboard with scissors for the little metal part to stick through.

DSC_0134

Don’t get discouraged if you try it and can’t get the bulbs to look right. The brand of the silicone makes a huge difference, and also practice makes perfect. I’ll sell these for probably $4.50 each at the co-op. Hope you have a great Labor Day! πŸ™‚

1. Joy Gallagher
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 14:09:39

You have the most wonderful ideas!! Sooo creative!!

2. Cheryl
    Sep 07, 2015 @ 21:18:30

They look great! Have you ever made snowmen heads from white plastic spoons?
    I can give you directions if you want to email me at handmadebycheryl@live.com

• Lynette
      Sep 09, 2015 @ 09:11:21

Hi Cheryl. How are you? I am looking for unique items to make for my fundraiser for our adoption (this was us for our first adoption barefootandadopting.blogspot.com is us currently 4fitz.blogspot.com) If you are in the mood to share some ideas, like your snowmen, please reach out: journey2adopt.gmail.com or if you have a website please let me know. Thanks. God bless! ~Lynette

Sep 10, 2015 @ 14:19:11

Cheryl, I am intrigued! What do you mean by snowman heads? Like, using the silicone on the spoons? I’d love for you to tell me more…I’ll email you soon! Maggie

• Lynette
        Sep 21, 2015 @ 08:46:28

Thanks, Maggie (one of my favorite names, btw)….hmmmm, I think we lost Cheryl. hee hee. I am looking on pinterest though. …Oh, and I am going to try to make your little grungy tealight candles in the coffee grounds and cinnamon, πŸ˜€ Thanks so much. CHEERS!

3. alookatthelittlethings
    Sep 08, 2015 @ 09:09:39

I love this idea and will be making a trip to the dollar store soon. Thanks!

4. Christine
    Sep 08, 2015 @ 20:48:18

Also don’t get discouraged when the bulbs do not turn on when you pull them off the display πŸ™‚

5. Lynette
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 09:05:46

I’ve been wanting to make these since the first post, perhaps I will actually do it now πŸ˜‰

6. Booth555
    Sep 10, 2015 @ 12:54:02

Hi Maggie! These look awesome. Yes the silicone does make a huge difference for sure. the 100% clear all purpose sealant has been my best bet too. none of the “caulking” in the name has ever been good.
    Ps. Love your clipboard in the back!
    ~Lisa

7. Kelly Halverson
    Oct 05, 2015 @ 11:45:15

I am having a hard time finding the adorable tin hearts that you are using. I know that you reference the link before, but when I went to it, it was no longer available.

8. Trackback: October 12, 2015: Attempt at silicone-dipped light bulbs | alookatthelittlethings
  9. Reda Johnson
    Oct 20, 2015 @ 18:19:28

If you have any blue speckled graniteware left, could you email me with prices?

10. judy