Witch Hats

I’ve been feeling particularly Halloweenie lately, given all the Fall goodness that is out in the craft stores. I picked up these paper mache witch hats for $1.oo each at Michael’s and, with a little spray paint and hot glue, converted them into primitive style witch hat decorations. I think they came out pretty cute!

DSC_0115

Here’s the blank canvas.

DSC_0100

First, I spray painted them black. All I had was glossy paint on hand. I usually like to use a matte finish for projects like this. After it dried I sanded it, to make it look a little worn and prim.

DSC_0102

Next, I mixed up some orange acrylic paint with water, to make a really thin orange paint, which works best for splattering. I then used the messy, yet effective “splatter technique,” which is using your fingers to pull back the bristles of the brush and let the paint splatter paint over your surface.

DSC_0101

After it dried like this, I sprayed it with a satin clear coat, mainly to disguise the half glossy/half sanded look. Next time, I’d probably used a matte black paint so that it doesn’t look so funky after sanding.

DSC_0103

While that dried, I made some little tags to decorate the hats with.

DSC_0105

I trimmed the tags to make them a bit smaller and stamped out the words “The witch is in.”

DSC_0108

Next, use some homespun around the base of the hat. I hot glued it in place like this.

DSC_0109

Then I tied some raffia around the base of the hat and also hot glued it down in a few places, but also leaving it loose and flowing.

DSC_0110

I finished them off with some large vintage buttons that I tied on with the tags. I also put a dab of hot glue under them as well, for extra hold.

DSC_0117

DSC_0120

Here they are all done. I am really pleased with them. They are heading over to my co-op today and I am thinking $14 each. I’ve never made anything like this before so not sure how they will sell. We’ll see!

DSC_0118

Happy Fall to all my craft friends out there!

1. Alicia Dacey
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 10:24:37

Hi I love the witch hats!! I was wondering if you were doing a craft expo soon, would love to see all your items at the booth

Sent from my iPhone

2. Dee
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 10:35:45

Love them!Nice to see projects from you again..I have thoroughly enjoyed them and have missed them!

Sep 18, 2015 @ 07:28:23

Thank you Dee…I did go through quite a crafting drought and lost motivation for a while. I am glad to be back at it again. Something about this time of year really gets the creative juices flowing. Thanks again and Happy Fall! Maggie

3. Cheryl
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 12:27:59

Really cute! TFS

4. Patricia
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 12:46:24

I have missed projects from you too! These hats would be nice for any Halloween themed party too, maybe even at a wedding if anyone “dare” to get married on Halloween

5. Jessica
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 18:19:37

So creative! These turned out great, I hope they sell for you!

6. barbara
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 23:14:57

That is one of the cutest things I’ve seen!

7. Kathy
    Sep 17, 2015 @ 15:33:41

love them, and the rustic feel that comes along with them, soooo cute.

8. Booth555
    Sep 18, 2015 @ 00:29:28

Looks awesome! They really turned out cute and I could see one on a Halloween wreath even!

Sep 20, 2015 @ 10:33:41

Love Halloween as much as I do Christmas! As always-very clever idea-as always!

10. Paula
    Oct 01, 2015 @ 15:47:13

I recently made these and they are ADORABLE,but.. I am afraid they may be a fire hazard? The labeling on the silicone states that it is highly flammable. Should I be fearful?

Oct 02, 2015 @ 12:05:24

Hi Paula, I thought the same thing when I started but there is no reason to be fearful. They do not catch fire or even get really hot…they get a little bit warm but that is all. I have been selling/making/using them for years and never had any problem at all. Maybe once it cures it’s not as flammable? Anyway, I would not worry as long as you are using those small bulbs. Bigger bulbs that get really hot might be a concern. Anyway, glad you made them and hope you enjoyed the project! Maggie

11. Angie Berry
    Oct 21, 2015 @ 10:57:28

So adorable! Glad I found your blog as I’ve looked through it and found some really cute ideas, you’re so creative! Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas with us. Have a delightful week~

12. Denise Mitterando
    Sep 04, 2016 @ 10:12:53

came across your site thru Pinterest …wow!!!! you have great ideas !!!! I am feeling crafty as the summer ends & you inspired me ! Thank you!!!