Chalk Painted Mason Jars

My latest crating venture has been painting mason jars. I’ve seen them all over Etsy and Pinterest and they are SO darn cute. I especially love the “ombre” jar sets. There are so many possibilities with different colors, sizes, stencils, themes, etc. After much trial and error, I’ve figured out that the type of paint you use is key! Here’s how I tackled this project.

DSC_0354

First, I gathered up some jars. I did a very small batch because I wanted to get the process down before I go nuts painting every jar in sight. LOL. 😀 I had a few quilted jars and also picked up these sets of mini jars at the Dollar Tree. I love the tiny size of them and think they’ll make cute “trinket jars.”

DSC_0330

For the newer packaged jars, I just started painting. For the previously used jars, I wiped them down with rubbing alcohol to ensure any dirt or oils were removed. A clean jar allows the paint to adhere to the glass better.

DSC_0335

The most important tip for this project: do NOT use regular acrylic paint. Even though many tutorials say it will work, I had a really hard time with getting the regular acrylic to stick to the glass. The first coat would go on streaky and the second coat would peel off the first coat, even after ample drying times. The best paint to use is chalk paint. I got the Craft Smart brand that is a chalky type of acrylic, which seemed to work well. I think the straight up chalk paint will work even better!

DSC_0341

I did the first coat with a soft paint brush and let it dry for 24 hours.

DSC_0338

Some might stop at one coat and be fine with that look, but for me it was a bit too transparent. I found the second coat has to go on quickly. The more brush strokes, the more likely you are to peel off some of the first coat. Overall they came out pretty good.

DSC_0347

I let them dry for another 24 hours. I then used some coarse sand paper to rough them up a little and create a worn, distressed look.

DSC_0349

Once sanded and wiped off with a towel (to get off the paint dust) I sprayed them with a clear sealer. Any clear poly will do. I used a satin spray and really liked the results.

DSC_0350

DSC_0351

Tied on a little twine bow and boom! Do you like them with or without the lids?

DSC_0353

DSC_0354

I love the quilted jars. The raised diamond pattern is pretty cute. I can envision one of these on my counter filled with a little bouquet of flowers. 🙂

DSC_0355

I experimented with using scraps of homespun fabric to accent the jars. I think I like the twine better.

DSC_0356

I think I shall make another big batch with more colors now that I have the process down. For now I’ll put these in my booth at the co-op and see if they move. I’m thinking I’ll price ’em at $2.50 for the small jars and $6.50-ish for the large jars. If you have any tips or tricks for this project, please leave a comment and share!!!

DSC_0357

While the mason jars were drying, I tinkered with another quick project. I found this wooden puzzle while I was perusing the thrift store, and you probably already know what I did with it!

DSC_0339

MAGNETS! I am obsessed with making magnets because they are easy and great sellers.

DSC_0340

I am always on the look out for cool wood puzzle pieces for just this reason. I love this theme!

DSC_0348

Happy crafting! 😀

1. Brenda Caldwell
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 18:48:43

I just love these! I think the white is my favorite!

2. Sandi Allen
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 19:06:46

Love these! Thanks for sharing your tutorial with us!

3. Debbie Patrick
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 19:35:18

Love them. I like the twine best and I also think the quilted ones would be cute with a black chalkboard painted in the blank space.

4. Nancy
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 19:54:34

It’s really nice to see those springtime colors. Thank you for this idea and for the tutorial.

5. Reba Corder
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 21:09:02

Thanks for.all you do. I love the white ones without the
    lid the best.

6. Reba Corder
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 21:11:31

Thanks for all you do. I like the white ones without the lid the best.

7. StephTheBookworm
    Feb 07, 2016 @ 22:07:21

I love them! I’ll have to grab some next time I go to the co-op. The little ones are so cute!

8. babykitty2
    Feb 08, 2016 @ 04:40:40

Thanks for all the info! Really saves me time that I would have had to use “experimenting” on my own. Like the quilted jars best and the twine. How about a double strand? Glad to see you back crafting again! Know how it is never having enough time in the day to do everything we want to do! 🙂

9. Booth 555 (www.Booth555.com)
    Feb 08, 2016 @ 06:22:53

Love these. They just scream Easter to me! I have been trying the clay and mason jars this week, and it’s not going so great for me,lol.
    PS. Love the puzzle magnet idea too!!!!
    ~Lisa

10. Booth 555 (www.Booth555.com)
    Jun 03, 2016 @ 07:21:01

I love the quilted look too! And yep the twine is cutest I think also.
    i came back to let ya know I finally gave these a try too, but in a little bit different way. I just two toned them by painting a little on the inside to show when I sanded them off.

11. barndoorcountry
    Aug 29, 2016 @ 13:10:13

I am nervous about upcoming fall show season and in need of some inspiration or new ideas. Do you have any thoughts?

12. purplecowcrafts
    Oct 09, 2016 @ 17:27:06

These are amazing. So pretty.

13. kelleysdiy
    Nov 24, 2016 @ 11:52:47

I love the mason jars! Fabulous!

14. Robin Boggs
    Dec 12, 2016 @ 12:30:46

Hey! Just checking in on you! Haven’t seen any new posts in a long time! Hope all is well! Love your things and have had great fun making some of them!

Feb 05, 2017 @ 11:11:13

Hi Robin! Thanks for checking in. I haven’t been crafting at all lately. I am just too busy with work and life I guess. I hope to get back to it some day, which is why I left the blog up. Hope you’re having a good winter and glad you’ve enjoyed making some of these little projects. Hoping summer will get the crafty motivation back!!! 🙂 Maggie

15. AVON Ohio Rep
    Jan 05, 2017 @ 20:48:41

Reblogged this on Avon with Stephanie Grams and commented:
    The best tutorial for mason jars thus far!

16. Fern Trudeau
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 00:41:01

Are you still blogging? I have not received anything from you in ages and I miss it.

_____

Feb 05, 2017 @ 11:02:37

Hi Fern, I haven’t been doing any crafting because I’m just too darn busy. I do kinda miss it. I was going to take the blog down but figure I’d leave it up incase I ever get my mojo back. Thanks and hope you are having a good winter. Counting down the days til the summer time. ~Maggie

17. Leda Foley
    Jun 27, 2017 @ 09:56:29

I’m here looking for new post. Also looking for your idea on how to display doors in a booth. I sure hope you keep the blog going. Been a long time follower.

18. Sara Hayes
    Aug 17, 2017 @ 03:51:17

I stumbled across one of your posts on pinterest an so glad i did. Im a rustic/primitive nut. 🙂 You have given me so many new ideas Thank you and hope to see new stuff from you in due time.