Reversible Scarecrow & Snowman

I’m back! After a long crafting hiatus I decided to make something in honor of my favorite season approaching; also a project requested by a friend 🙂 . I haven’t had a lot of time or motivation over the last year so I do apologize for my lack of posts. It feels great to be back at it again. This is a popular one on Pinterest and I’m sure you’ve seen many variations of it. Here’s my take and the how-to!

First I bought the large wood piece already cut to this size at Lowe’s, and had the hat-brim pieces in my stock pile of wood. You can use any size for the brim depending on the look you’re going for; I opted for a chunky, large hat. I spray painted both sides of the board and the brims first, then nailed the brims down on either side so they mirror each other.

Here he is all painted, but I don’t like that real crisp, shiny look…

I like a little bit of a worn look so I did some sanding on the edges. I love these little sanding squares, and when they get all nasty and used up, I wrap a new piece of sand paper around it. Go for a large grit to work faster.

If I could find my frickin palm sander I probably would have done more overall sanding for a more rustic look, but since I was hand sanding and my arm was tired, I just got the edges.

Now it’s time for his face(s)! I perused Pinterest and got some ideas of the faces I like and don’t like, and decided on these. I like the simple eyes, the dotted mouth for the snowman, and the cross-hatched mouth for the scarecrow. Also, I HAD to have the candy corn nose!

For his rosy cheeks I used a little round foam brush. You could use any sponge, or just paint pink circles.

Incase you were wondering I used a black paint pen for the crisp lines, a yellow and orange paint pen for the noses, and white/red acrylic for the white accents and pink cheeks. Any ol’ acrylic paint would work, but I like the paint pens because they allow you to work with more precision, especially when outlining.

Now time for the hat accents. To start, I wrapped a piece of burlap ribbon all the way around and tied it in a bow on the scarecrow side. For the snowman I decided on some pip berries and a rusty star. Everything was secured with a hot glue gun.

For the scarecrow, some raffia and a large wooden button found at Michael’s. Both sides also got a little bow of homespun fabric for some color.

I also added “scarfs” by just ripping some strips of fabric and hot-gluing them in place, criss-crossing a bit.

I’m pretty happy with him overall, my only complaint being the hat seems a bit large for the face. Maybe next time I’ll use a skinnier brim.

Thanks to everyone for checking in and commenting over the last year. I hope to be back again soon with some new ideas! Hope everyone is enjoying the summer!!!!!!!!

1. Sue {Munchkin Munchies}
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 13:46:28

I really like the reversible idea a lot! Very cute!
    I haven’t blogged for months and need to get back to it also!

2. Reba Corder
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 15:11:11

I really love your work. So glad to hear from you again and hope you continue

3. Pam
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 15:39:21

Oh, so happy to see you back, you’re the best!

4. StephTheBookworm
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 16:32:08

Love this! To display him, would you just lean him up on something? If you make any more, I’ll buy one! You know I’m a fellow Fall addict! 🙂

Aug 26, 2017 @ 21:51:58

Yes you just lean him. I saw other ones online with stands but that was way too much work, lol. I don’t know that I’ll be making anymore large ones (this season anyway) but maybe some smaller ones! I love the two-in-one idea. Thanks for always following Steph! ❤ 🙂

5. Suzio
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 16:38:04

Yay- so glad you’re back. Hope all is good with you x

6. Debra Peterson
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 16:52:49

You did such a great job and this is a great post!

7. brandyanne
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 16:53:46

You did such a great job and this is such a great tutorial!

8. Lisa
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 17:06:55

Thrilled to see you back! I have missed you!!

9. Barbara
    Aug 20, 2017 @ 22:09:02

Best time of the year coming up and you’re back! Wonderful-

10. Mandi
    Aug 21, 2017 @ 06:49:05

Too cute! Great seeing you back!

11. Connie
    Aug 21, 2017 @ 08:22:43

I was just checking here the other day! So glad you’re back, and with such a cute and clever project. The reversible snowmen are just adorable 🙂 Keep these awesome craft ideas coming, please!!

Aug 26, 2017 @ 21:46:19

Thank you Connie!!! I can’t take full credit for the cleverness of the project; I’ve been seeing them on Pinterest for ages and wanting to make one! I think he’s awesome but it was a complex one…thinking of doing smaller ones next time! 😀

12. Robin
    Aug 21, 2017 @ 10:10:12

Glad to have you back! Sweet project!

13. Eloise
    Aug 22, 2017 @ 19:44:54

So happy you are back! I discovered you last year and love your posts and clever ideas. You are so talented!

14. craftinghomestead
    Aug 25, 2017 @ 11:41:10

YAY! Out of all the sites I follow, you are my favorite. I love your crafts. 🙂 You inspired me to actually *DO* some instead of just looking at all the options I have and thinking, “I can do that.” My eternal thanks to you. ❤ Oh, and I love this idea. I have seen a few around…must be my turn to make one now. 😉

Aug 26, 2017 @ 21:41:14

Thank you sooo much for your sweet comment! I’m so glad you’ve found some ideas and have actually done them! I am the same way…there are only a handful of sites that really inspire me. The rest are overwhelming or too complicated. I like to think of myself as the lazy crafter…haha…always looking for ways to cut corners or find simple projects that don’t take forever! Anyway, thanks again, your comment made my day!! 🙂

15. themeltdownblog
    Sep 30, 2017 @ 20:47:07

Oh I just love this craft!! It is one of my favorite decorations I put out every year. I have a picture of mine in my recent fall home decor post.

Oct 02, 2017 @ 07:53:38

I just checked out your blog and I absolutely LOVE your scarecrow snowman!!! Especially the patches on his hat! They are such a fun project and your get a little extra bang for your buck when you flip it over for the next season! 🙂 Thanks for sharing, I’ll be sure to follow your posts as well as I love candles and all things “melty” lol. Happy Fall! -maggie