Spooky Halloween Tags Using Wood Cutouts

Do you ever buy random craft supplies because they are awesome, even though you don’t have a specific project in mind? Of course you do…we all do. It’s an addiction, and there’s no use fighting it!!! Lol 😀 So I found these unfinished Halloween themed wood cutouts, and simply could not resist. I decided some fun Halloween tags would be an easy and fun way to use them!

I started off with some blank brown craft tags. I always have these on hand because they come in handy for all kinds of projects.

I distressed the tags using a little piece of sponge and some distress ink. Regular stamp ink works too! I used a brown and then repeated the process with black. Distress to your liking…but not too dark if you’re going to stamp on words or designs.

I forgot to get a pic, but after the tags dried for a minute, I then lightly stamped them with skeleton keys and other designs, along with words like “spooky,” “the witch is in,” and “eek.” Next, paint your wood pieces.

After they dry, distressed them the same way as the tags!

You can go a step further and splatter them. Lay the wooden piece on a paper towel in the sink. Add a tiny bit of water to thin down some paint (unless it’s already thin, then use as is). Coat your paintbrush and then flick the bristles with your fingers to splatter the paint onto your piece.

Let them dry thoroughly. Then hot glue the wood cutout’s to the tags and add twine or ribbons to hang them. Here they are!

“The witch is in” is my favorite! I’ve got them hanging all over the house! 🙂

As always, thanks for stopping by! Hope you’re having as much fun with Fall and Halloween crafts as I am!

1. Robin
    Sep 24, 2017 @ 11:07:13

Love this!

2. Booth555
    Sep 24, 2017 @ 19:38:46

Hey Maggie! Glad to see you back for the Halloween Season! I love the witch is in the best too. Great idea for sure!!! ~Lisa
    (ps. having trouble commenting for some reason, if this goes through??)

3. allison
    Sep 25, 2017 @ 06:20:31

and where does one get the distressing ink?
    I love these !

Sep 26, 2017 @ 15:41:04

Hey Allison! The distressing ink pads can be found at any craft store that carries stamps/ink pads. I think I got mine at AC Moore years ago. But a regular brown and/or black ink pad will create the same effect. Hope that helps! 🙂 Maggie

4. Janet
    Sep 25, 2017 @ 18:09:13

Really like these and try to always have brown tags on hand. Also, great to have you back posting again. We have missed you!

5. themeltdownblog
    Sep 30, 2017 @ 20:44:47

These are wonderfully adorable! Of course I buy all sorts of things every time I step into a craft store..too much stuff if you ask me though never enough 😂 Problem is the time to do it all!

6. alittlemadsmith- DIY, craft and cupcakes!
    Oct 12, 2017 @ 16:59:56