Country Snowman Mason Jars

Tis my favorite crafting time of the year…the season of painting SNOWMEN! They are easy, fun, and everyone loves them! I recently came across a new kind of paint that works great on glass surfaces, so I decided to try painting on some mason jars. The paint is DecoArt’s Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic. If you’ve tried painting on glass, you know it can be tricky. This stuff seems to have great coverage and “cures” after a few days, leaving a permanent finish. Here’s my finished product, and the how-to below!

This “looking up snowman” design is all over Pinterest, and I have been waiting to paint him forever! To get started, I did two coats of this pretty aqua color. Choose any color you want for the background. Coats were spaced about 3 hours apart. When applying the second coat, you risk “lifting” the first coat if it’s not completely dry. Unfortunately, patience is a must with this type of craft. A little tip; even after ample drying, try to apply the second coat quickly and lightly.

For the snowman head I decided to use a sponge stamper brush. This helps create the fuzzy edges of the head.

For the snow, I used the “splatter” technique. It’s pretty messy, but it works great! Put a little bit of paint in a bowl and water down just slightly. You want the paint to be a little thinner than how it comes in the bottle.

I protected the sink with some paper towels and went to town, flicking the paint brush at the jar to create the speckled snow look.

Once the heads were dry, I went on the paint the noses, rosy cheeks, and black dots for the mouth. Here’s an example of the “lifting” I was mentioning earlier. I was trying to fix one of the rosy cheeks and was painting the same little area over and over, and pressed a bit too hard. It pulled off all of the layers of paint in that area. Unfortunately it is hard to repair these types of paint tears without being super obvious….so I decided to scrap this jar.

I also added the big snowflake above his head, and a few larger white dots of snow. I’m so happy with how they turned out! The paint will cure after 4 days, or can be baked (directions on back of paint bottle). I chose to let them cure by air drying. According to the paint instructions there is no need for a final clear sealer!

After curing, I added a piece of twine and a rustic snowflake. I happened to have these on hand, but you could also little jingle bells, some pip berries, or other rusty shapes. Even just a little jute or homespun bow would be cute too!

You could put a tea light in the jar, or fill them with holiday treats! I will be giving these out as gifts stuffed with candy. As always, thank you for reading, and I hope you all are enjoying all the fun crafts that comes along with the holiday season! 🙂

1. Kim
    Dec 11, 2017 @ 20:56:16

Those are adorable 😀

2. Robin
    Dec 11, 2017 @ 21:12:04

Precious!!

3. Pam
    Dec 11, 2017 @ 21:22:15

So glad you’re back! These are fantastic. Your crafts and directions are so well done. Just one thing, you went a tad too far with the snowflakes, as they have eight points instead of six. Omit either the horizontal line or the vertical one. Just draw a vertical line, then an X over it, and you’ll have six points. Just couldn’t help it, I’m a retired teacher.

4. Lynne Mason
    Dec 12, 2017 @ 08:51:22

I was so excited to see your e-mail! I have been a follower for years and just love your crafts-I am running out to get this paint today, I have so many Mason jars ( I have a little problem) This is such an adorable gift idea. I look forward to your next post. I have successfully made so many of your projects due to your clear directions and pictures. Thank you! Merry Christmas!

Dec 12, 2017 @ 09:20:30

Thank you so much Lynne! I’m obsessed with this paint. I hope that the finish is as “permanent” as it claims, or at least holds up better than the acrylic with just a sealer. So far, so good! Have fun making your jars (I also have a mason jar hoarding problem) and Happy Holidays! Thanks for being a loyal reader all these years!!! maggie 🙂

5. Sandi Allen
    Dec 12, 2017 @ 09:18:23

Love these! How adorable!

6. Cheryl
    Dec 12, 2017 @ 10:51:27

I have used flat spray paint to coat the jars. It holds on much better than acrylic. Then I seal with a waterbased sealer, the kind that is used to seal wooden floors.

Dec 12, 2017 @ 11:17:29

I’ll have to try that sometime Cheryl. I have never spray painted them, only tried various types of acrylics, brushed on. Considering there’s a foot of snow outside right now I’ll have to hold off on spraying til the Spring! haha. Thanks for the tip!!! maggie

7. Lisa Copher
    Dec 12, 2017 @ 14:01:14

Awesome looking jars! I have not tried that kinda paint yet. I use a bake on stain though sometimes. I love them!

8. misskitty1222
    Dec 12, 2017 @ 14:15:33

Ahh, so glad to see you post! Still my first and fav prim blog that actually started me in my prim crafting, lol! I love this, mostly bc I can’t paint a stick figure and have it look recognizable! Actually, I can paint… I just can’t draw! And, this is awesome, bc really no drawing necessary! Thanks for posting, esp where u can apply this snowman technique anywhere! Thanks again, and Merry Merry!!!

9. Janet Kynerd
    Dec 12, 2017 @ 17:41:21

I also have a mason jar excess and want to try these adorable snowmen. Have missed your posts and hope to hear more from you soon. Your ideas are always great but not hard to make with your understandable instructions.

10. Jennifer
    Dec 12, 2017 @ 21:30:04

Oh my goodness this little snowman is so cute! I am not a fan of snow. I have not even a single snowman or snowflake in my home décor, that’s how much I dislike snow. But, I am in love with this little guy!! He just might make me a convert! Really lovely work, you are so talented!

11. Waynell
    Dec 13, 2017 @ 14:20:45

Absolutely adorable!!

12. Barbara
    Dec 13, 2017 @ 22:54:36

Love the little snowmen! Such a great idea, as usual!

13. Erica Smith
    Dec 16, 2017 @ 22:50:04

OOOH I’m soooo happy you’re back!!! I was thrilled to get yor email!!! I Love the Mason Jar and the Stacked Snowmen are FABULOUS also! I love the adorable snowman looking up like He’s admiring and so happy to see the snow!! Love everything rustic and country that you make!!! Thanks for the new paint! Excited to get it and try it!!
    Merry Christmas,
    Erica Smith

Dec 21, 2017 @ 11:44:00

Hi Erica, thank you for your sweet comment!! Holidays make crafting more fun so I tend to get back into it around this time. Hope you have fun if you try this new paint, I freakin love it! Happy holidays to you and your family! 🙂 Maggie

14. Linda Christman
    Dec 25, 2017 @ 08:10:12

Hi Maggie. I just came across your painted snowman jar and WOW. Going to make these guys. I love all your crafts. Thanks for all your info. Linda Christman.