Dollar Store Gnome Ornaments

Hello! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these crazy times. I am back with a project I actually did a while ago but just realized I never posted! I created these little gnome ornaments using some unfinished dollar store Easter egg ornaments. They came out super cute and were pretty easy.

Here are the egg ornaments I used. I found them at the Dollar Tree. I grabbed a ton because there are so many possibilities with them. At 5 for $1, you can’t go wrong!

I used tape to create the straight lines of the gnome body and some of their beards. Please note that you can totally skip the tape steps and paint them free-hand if you’d like! If you are going to use the tape method, here’s how.

Using some tape, make a triangle shape. Make the triangle as tall as you’d like your gnome to be. I would have preferred to use masking tape but I was out. Hope you can see the clear tape lines okay.

If you’d like a straight, pointed beard, then add two more pieces of tape on the bottom to create a diamond shape.

Using acrylic paint, fill in the bottom half of the diamond with white for the gnomes beard. I created a small peak, or rounded top to the beard, just to give the beard some shape. It may need two coats. Let each coat dry completely before applying the next coat.

Then fill in your hat. Once the beard is dry, peel away the bottom pieces of tape and fill in the red body around the beard. Once the entire gnome body is dry, peel all of the tape away. Fill in the outside with whatever background color you’d like.

The gnome on the right has a “textured” beard. This was just an experiment. I used some salt mixed into some white paint and a bit of white glue. Then just dabbed it on. It came out pretty good, kind of like the textured snow paint you get at the craft store. If you decide to try it, be sure to seal it when you’re done. I can not confirm how long this lasts or how good the quality is, as it was my first time playing around with this kind of textured paint.

Next, add your nose. You can paint one on, or use a small wooden disc like these. I happened to have these on hand and the small ones worked perfectly. You could also use a button for a 3D effect, and paint it flesh colored.

Then add any details. Again, I had this stuff on hand. My craft stash is ridiculous and has accumulated over the years, so I can often find random little “accents” like this. You can always paint these types of details on, or check out the dollar store or craft store for little accents you can add!

The same little wooden discs that were used for the nose can be used for the hands!

I even found these cute coffee cups at Michaels and thought the gnomes might look cute sipping some hot cocoa or coffee while they are out there in the snow. 🙂

When you’re all done, add a coat of sealer. I used sparkle Mod Podge to give them some holiday bling.

Use twine, string or ribbon to hang them. I used bakers twine. This can be found at Dollar Tree in a variety of colors.

Here are the finished products. You can’t appreciate the “sparkle” in the photos, but in real life, they are very shimmery!

Here are the next ones in progress…can you guess what they will be???

1. debby
    Apr 16, 2020 @ 09:25:13

So cute!

2. Angela Bowling
    Apr 16, 2020 @ 12:14:34

What a cute idea. You are so cleaver.

3. Lynne
    Apr 17, 2020 @ 10:51:14

I love your craft ideas! and have missed seeing them. It is a crazy time for us all. Stay well and thank you for sharing your clever ideas!!

4. Tammie Lovenguth
    Apr 19, 2020 @ 08:41:30

I love the gnomes! You’re so talented.

5. misskitty1222
    Dec 28, 2020 @ 15:07:29

These are soo cute!! I am sooo happy to see you are posting again! Lol, I found you Years ago while looking for Primitive crafts and you and another blogger (something Sister, I can’t remember her full blog name and the blog unfortunately is gone now bc I had some of her pages bookmarked and they lead to a dead domain, unfortunately 😔) were the first and really only I had found back then and you guys helped me so much! I actually STILL do primitives but also throw in some farmhouse as well and sell my stuff at a booth I have in an antique mall. I came across one of your posts in a “45 best grungy crafts” type posts and honestly have NO IDEA how I got there Hahaa!!! I woke up and there it was, on my screen🤣 my guess was I fell asleep looking at Pinterest and probably hit a button… Which is a scary thought bc I could have ended up anywhere, lol! But, your grungy votive candle was the first post and I said Hmm, for the fun of it I’m going to see if she has maybe posted anything in the last few yrs…. And sure enough, right even up to this month! I was so excited to see that there are many posts actually! Lol, I know what I’ll be doing at lunch time! Lol! I thought I signed up for emails, but maybe I missed them, I do get a LOOOTTT of emails from blogs and other websites I follow though, so I may have just missed them all! Anyway, super excited to see you’re still posting and now I’ll know to check back regularly! I hope you and your family have a wonderful and healthy Christmas and New Year and I’ll be very much looking forward to catching new posts this time (I’ll Def be looking through my email and marking important, that way it’ll go to its own folder on Gmail and I won’t miss another post again 😉)

• misskitty1222
      Dec 28, 2020 @ 15:09:24

I have no idea why this posted twice, when I went to word press today, it said my comment didn’t post, to log in and it’d be posted… Well, it did post the day I wrote it… Now it’s there twice. Very weird. My apologies!

Dec 31, 2020 @ 14:49:20

Thank you so much for your sweet comment and don’t worry about it posting twice…computers have minds of their own! Anyway I am so glad you found me through the rabbit hole that is Pinterest! lol….I find myself getting lost in there as well. It’s a great place to get motivation and new ideas…infact I get the majority of my inspiration from there these days! I really wish I did more and posted more frequently but you know how it goes…time is always working against us! Anyway thank you again and I wish you a Happy New Year and happy holidays to you and your family as well! 🙂 Maggie