Spooky Halloween Tags Using Wood Cutouts

Do you ever buy random craft supplies because they are awesome, even though you don’t have a specific project in mind? Of course you do…we all do. It’s an addiction, and there’s no use fighting it!!! Lol πŸ˜€ So I found these unfinished Halloween themed wood cutouts, and simply could not resist. I decided some fun Halloween tags would be an easy and fun way to use them!

I started off with some blank brown craft tags. I always have these on hand because they come in handy for all kinds of projects.

I distressed the tags using a little piece of sponge and some distress ink. Regular stamp ink works too! I used a brown and then repeated the process with black. Distress to your liking…but not too dark if you’re going to stamp on words or designs.

I forgot to get a pic, but after the tags dried for a minute, I then lightly stamped them with skeleton keys and other designs, along with words like “spooky,” “the witch is in,” and “eek.” Next, paint your wood pieces.

After they dry, distressed them the same way as the tags!

You can go a step further and splatter them. Lay the wooden piece on a paper towel in the sink. Add a tiny bit of water to thin down some paint (unless it’s already thin, then use as is). Coat your paintbrush and then flick the bristles with your fingers to splatter the paint onto your piece.

Let them dry thoroughly. Then hot glue the wood cutout’s to the tags and add twine or ribbons to hang them. Here they are!

“The witch is in” is my favorite! I’ve got them hanging all over the house! πŸ™‚

As always, thanks for stopping by! Hope you’re having as much fun with Fall and Halloween crafts as I am!

 

 

 

Dollar Store Craft: Pumpkin Wall Light

Who else is in the mood for some Halloween crafting?! The Fall and Halloween decor is popping up everywhere and I’m so super excited!!! After I got ahold of myself and stopped buying Halloween decorations, I decided to stop at the Dollar Tree to look for some new materials to work with. I saw this simple wall light and thought that blank round dome could be easily be converted into a snowman or a pumpkin face! Actually, a snowman face would be super easy since it’s already white to begin with. I shall file that idea away and make some snowmen in a few months. My first attempt was the pumpkin face!

If you don’t know which wall light I am talking about, it’s this one. The batteries are not included so make sure to have 4 AA’s handy.

First, draw your face outline on the light with a pencil.

I decided to use chalky acrylic paint because I thought it would give the best coverage. I am sure regular acrylics would work just fine.

Fill in your face…

And then paint the outer rim. Once they are both dry, fill in the eyes nose and mouth with a black paint pen, or black acrylic paint.

I decided to jazz him up a bit with some light green dashes around the outside rim.

Then I mixed the orange with a touch of white to make a lighter orange, and made some stripes down his face.Β Here he is!

After completely dried, I sprayed him down with a coat of clear poly as a sealer. Then I hung him up and hit the lights! Lit up you can see some of the paint strokes, but he’s still pretty cute. This would make a great night light or cute decoration outside at night!

Also, I wanted to say thank you all for your kind comments on my last post after being away for a while. It’s so nice to hear that you enjoy the posts and maybe find a little inspiration here. It’s been really fun working on some new projects and I hope to hang on to this motivation and run with it!

Have a great weekend everyone! πŸ™‚

Witch Hats

I’ve been feeling particularly Halloweenie lately, given all the Fall goodness that is out in the craft stores. I picked up these paper mache witch hats for $1.oo each at Michael’s and, with a little spray paint and hot glue, converted them into primitive style witch hat decorations. I think they came out pretty cute!

DSC_0115

Here’s the blank canvas.

DSC_0100

First, I spray painted them black. All I had was glossy paint on hand. I usually like to use a matte finish for projects like this. After it dried I sanded it, to make it look a little worn and prim.

DSC_0102

Next, I mixed up some orange acrylic paint with water, to make a really thin orange paint, which works best for splattering. I then used the messy, yet effective “splatter technique,” which is using your fingers to pull back the bristles of the brush and let the paint splatter paint over your surface.

DSC_0101

After it dried like this, I sprayed it with a satin clear coat, mainly to disguise the half glossy/half sanded look. Next time, I’d probably used a matte black paint so that it doesn’t look so funky after sanding.

DSC_0103

While that dried, I made some little tags to decorate the hats with.

DSC_0105

I trimmed the tags to make them a bit smaller and stamped out the words “The witch is in.”

DSC_0108

Next, use some homespun around the base of the hat. I hot glued it in place like this.

DSC_0109

Then I tied some raffia around the base of the hat and also hot glued it down in a few places, but also leaving it loose and flowing.

DSC_0110

I finished them off with some large vintage buttons that I tied on with the tags. I also put a dab of hot glue under them as well, for extra hold.

DSC_0117

DSC_0120

Here they are all done. I am really pleased with them. They are heading over to my co-op today and I am thinking $14 each. I’ve never made anything like this before so not sure how they will sell. We’ll see!

DSC_0118

Happy Fall to all my craft friends out there!